Chapter Twenty-Seven

Using the gold sent by her brother Justus, and her new chest of silks, Emmeline had had a wonderful time instructing a seamstress to fit her with a full wardrobe. The chest full of summer outfits had been accompanied by two chests of more insulated clothing. Emmeline had protested the thick fabrics and heavy gowns but Clementine had insisted that the winters here not only came early but powerfully.

Her favourite new outfit was her new riding gear, wearing it often. Emmeline had never been allowed a horse of her own growing up, despite her father being able to afford it. The stallion and mare that had been sent by her friend Lavender, wife of Lord Isaac Carul, whilst being an obvious double entendre, was also a nod to Emmeline's lifelong wish for a horse of her own. Something Lavender knew from their years of friendship.

It was pleasant to go riding each day, sometimes more than once a day, and while Cassius seemed disinterested in his horse, Emmeline gave the pair enough attention for the both of them. Looking outside, where the sunshine looked promising, she agreed with Clementine that it was a truly lovely day for a jaunt.

Emmeline was alerted to the fact that something was happening by the flurry of servants that seemed to be moving like an angry swarm through the manor. Everything was being scrubbed, polished, shined, rearranged, fluffed, and spritzed with sweet- scented oils. The already immaculate manor was being primed for a guest; someone of obvious import if the half-panicked looks around her were anything to go by. Avoiding those that flew past her she headed downstairs with a mildly curious expression.

Taking her morning meal in the smaller of the dining rooms she did her best to ignore the impatient looks of those waiting on her. They kept throwing not so subtle looks at the elaborate grandfather clock that stood in the corner of the room. The poached eggs and salmon began to taste off on her tongue under the hostile gaze of those around her. She tried instead to focus on the day's newspaper that was always present at the breakfast table. It held little of interest however, spewing yet more warnings about an impending invasion from the East. More fear mongering and speculations about what microaggressions from their neighbours might mean. She couldn't stomach reading it. Without finishing even half of her plate she pushed herself away from the table, hearing the sighs of relief from the staff as they hurried to clear up after her and get back to whatever duties they clearly needed to complete.

It was odd, she thought, how in a house so full of people and activity she could find herself so lonely. No one stopped to say good morning or even ask her if she needed anything. She wondered if she was supposed to know who was arriving; maybe the Marcellus' were expecting her to join them in hosting their new guests? That thought was quashed almost immediately however, when Carmen Marcellus walked right past her without a word. The matriarch of the manor was awfully talented at blanking her, and it appeared that today would be no different. Avoiding the darting paths of those hard at work, she wandered out towards the stables where she knew she would be undisturbed and unrushed.

The air was cool against her skin as she rode away from the manor. She had decided to name her mare Artemis. It was a predictable name, she knew, but it thrilled a childish part of her. Windswept, a little breathless, and burned by the cold but undeniably happy; it was with regret that she returned to the manor after a couple hours. It was unbecoming of her to just disappear for hours at a time, and she wasn't willing to risk running foul of Carmen when there was something clearly afoot. Thanking the stable master Jacques, who was one of the few people who smiled at her, she headed back inside not bothering to change as she headed for the library.

There was more often than not, no one there. The only people she had seen, being the various accountants and stewards that dealt with the day to day running of the Marcellus family's vast holdings. In the weak sunshine she found herself utterly alone when she pushed inside the hushed space.

Silence, like a comforting balm after the bustling of outside, lay heavily over the impressive hall. She took in a deep breath, the subtle smells of paper and leather bindings enveloping her. Walls were lined floor to ceiling with shelves; a mezzanine floor above boasting an ornate railing that ran around the room like a dancing ribbon frozen mid-flight in carved wood. Ladders were available to fetch that which lay far above and out of reach and whilst she hadn't dared touch them, the way they slid on runners looked like a lot of fun to use, when she eventually plucked up the courage.

Content to leave the ladders for another day, she returned to the shelf where she had last been. There were a great many books on a great many topics, but this particular shelf held several volumes of fiction. As soon as it had become apparent that she would have little company and little to preoccupy herself with, she had resolved to read every novel on the shelf one by one. It would be an achievement when she finally reached the end of that particular shelf. While a silly, pointless goal, it gave her something to look forward to and work towards.

The next novel was bound in dark blue fabric, a gold insignia stamped onto the front cover. With a sigh of contentment she took her book and settled into a high-backed chair by the window. It gave her a good view of the gardens and the approach to the manor, the long gravel entrance track stretching out of view into the distance.

Immersed in a tale of dragons and conquering knights, Emmeline frowned when the sounds of hooves dragged her from the pages of her story. A trio of carriages were arriving, pulled up the driveway by brilliant white horses. Silver glinted in the sunlight, the elaborately painted vehicles leaving no doubt that those inside were of considerable means.

Interest piqued, Emmeline closed her book, sliding an off cut of ribbon inside to keep her place, as she went to the window to better see the new arrivals.

A young woman with hair like reddish flames took the hand extended to her as she left her gilded carriage. With a hard swallow Emmeline saw that it was Cassius who had aided the pretty woman. She looked to be about their age, her straight teeth gleaming as she shot him a beautiful smile. The smile he returned made Emmeline feel a little breathless for all the wrong reasons. Who was this person? Why was Cassius holding her hand and smiling at her like that? Who were they to one another?

Carmen's words from a couple weeks before came back to her. 'Her dowry is the equivalent to two years' annual income for her family, a generous sum.' So this was Count Claude's daughter. Lady Ottilie Claude was as attractive as she was wealthy it would seem. Emmeline felt a swell of insecurities begin to fester inside her stomach as she stared at the pair of them. Her ordained pair and his new prospective bride. Her replacement.

Seized by a sudden violent urge to react, she wondered what would happen if she were to march out and make a scene. Would Cassius finally deny their pairing? Seeing the way he kissed the back of Ottilie's gloved hand, she knew that he would. He would deny their pairing if it meant a better political match for his family.

It wasn't fair.

You gave up on that option when you entered pairing. Well, unless you were a Marcellus it seemed.

Dropping her book into her empty armchair, without worrying about returning it to the proper shelf, she left the library. Stories of bravery and heroism were suddenly unappealing to her. She didn't need reminding of how a good man behaved when her man was so brazenly courting another.

Snagging a servant's shawl from the first person she passed she headed out into the garden. The woollen fabric she wrapped around her shoulders was scratchy but warm as she retreated as far from the manor as possible. 

================================================================================

Author's Notes:

Some more of Emmie's perspective for you.

Let me know your thoughts so far! Don't forget to vote!

Sophie x