Chapter Twenty-Two

The summons that came during her breakfast had taken her by surprise. Emmeline had expected the Marcellus' to continue their strategy of actively and aggressively ignoring her at every opportunity. They did their best during evening meals to make her feel unwelcome, but it had no impact. She had spent her whole life ignored at the dinner table, this was no different.

Her days had been filled with reading in the impressively stocked library, chatting with the stewards she saw there. She also took long walks around the grounds, having discovered many interesting additions like a maze, a glasshouse, several orchards and so on. It had been peaceful if not a little lonely, but the peace and quiet was actually quite nice after so many years of living amongst the bustle of the Elva estate.

She sat in the drawing room waiting. It was oppressively masculine, from the dark wood of the shelves that lined the walls, to the imposing mahogany desk that dominated the space. Even the sofas that should've been a source of comfort were hard, the dark green leather unforgiving.

Emmeline sighed, she supposed this room suited the Marcellus family well, grand but cold and unforgiving.

Behind her the door slammed open abruptly, Cassius and his mother entering the room deep in discussion.

"Her dowry is the equivalent to two years' annual income for her family, a generous sum." Carmen enthused, ignoring the disinterested look her son gave her.

"If Count Claude is so keen to sell his daughter, perhaps we should look a little closer into why, mother. Don't let gold blind you." He stated bluntly, striding to sit behind his desk.

Neither of them acknowledged her, Carmen settled herself across from her, whilst Cassius looked forbidding behind his desk.

"Good morning." Emmeline ventured, drawing both mother and son's attention to her with two keen flicks of their matching eyes.

"Good morning, Miss Elva." Cassius had insisted, almost doggedly, not to use her name during the rare times they had seen each other. It was just another way of keeping distance between them. His intentions were as clear as glass but that didn't mean she wasn't saddened a little each time he referred to her in this way.

"Cassius, please use my name. I feel we are acquainted enough for that." She did her best to seem serene, hiding the hurt beneath a wide smile.

Cassius looked at her darkly. Framed by the desk with the windows on either side of him, he looked like an avenging angel, all hard lines despite his beauty.

"I supposed we are." He muttered, not seeming thrilled by this fact.

Carmen looked from her to her son, her rippling sheet of golden hair moving like liquid metal as she did so.

"Emmeline dear." She began, reaching forward to push a tray of small cakes towards her. Emmeline didn't take any. "I asked you to join us here because I have been speaking to my husband, Cassius' father." She explained as if Emmeline was stupid.

She raised an eyebrow at the woman, biting on the inside of her cheek to stop her saying obviously.

Carmen ploughed on, oblivious to Emmeline's expression. "Well we think that a marriage between you and Cassius would be a mistake."

A mistake.

Part of her had been bracing herself for such a conversation after overhearing them in the salon days ago. If she hadn't already been aware, such a statement would have totally blindsided her, and she was grateful for the prior warning as she kept her expression unconcerned.

Both mother and son were watching her closely. If Emmeline was honest with herself, a marriage to Cassius wasn't what had envisaged when she had agreed to enter the pairing. She had been promised a true partner, a life of happiness, even if that meant giving up the life of luxury she had enjoyed, and ties to her family. Marrying Cassius didn't seem like a path to happiness, but there were other reasons to push for marriage. Making a marriage alliance to the Marcellus family would be hugely beneficial for the Elva family but her desire went beyond that. She had been pushed around and ignored since the moment she and Cassius had met. She had been disrespected and treated like an idiot. Emmeline swallowed her initial reaction as she steeled herself to argue. She would fight for the partnership she had been promised, even if she had to unwillingly force Cassius into the role.