Chapter Thirty-Four

When Emmeline awoke, she did so with a new perspective. Something had to change, otherwise her loneliness was going to swallow her, and she wasn't about to let herself be so weak. She wouldn't give the Marcellus' what they wanted by disappearing. Was it pettiness? Probably. She didn't care.

Clementine dressed her extra warmly, making Emmeline smile but say nothing. Turning her attention to her writing desk, she sat on the comfortable stool for the first time. Emily and Lavender's letters were easy to tell apart from the others. Lavender's custom purple stationery was obvious, as was Emily's ornate wax seal that was far larger than necessary. A tiny cage showing tropical birds had been pressed into the wax, the seal so pretty it hurt Emmeline to snap it.

Some of her other friends had written her vague notes of congratulations and well wishes, she read those first, setting them aside so that she could write a polite reply to each later on. It took her a little while to work out the order in which the letters should be in. Without dates or any other indication of which envelope had arrived first, she found herself reading disjointed messages as she pieced the letters into some semblance of cohesion.

What was obvious, was that Emily and Lavender were both growing more and more concerned by her lack of answer.

It was also apparent that they had been conversing between themselves at length; the more recent letters were punctuated with numerous 'Emily and I think' and 'Lavender and I have discussed that'.

Sighing deeply she pulled out two pieces of paper and penned a reply to each of them.

Dearest Lavender,

I have to apologise for my lack of contact. Ever since my pairing, life has been...

She stilled. How had her life been? Terrible, honestly. Chewing on the inside of her cheek she tried to think what to say. Part of her wanted to tell her best friends absolutely everything, and if they had been in front of her, she might have. But committing the words to paper was something different.

The Marcellus' were a powerful family, the royal family, and to speak ill of them was dangerous. Choosing to be more savvy than to spill everything by letter, Emmeline selected each word with enormous care.

Ever since my pairing, my life has been extremely busy. The Marcellus Estates are vast in the extreme.

His grace is also extremely busy, so much so, that we have not had much opportunity to spend time together.

Emmeline knew that Emily especially would zero in on that statement. Her friends knew her well enough to spot when something wasn't right, and she was hoping that they would be able to spot her dissatisfaction through her language.

It is an adjustment being here compared to my father's house. I find it too quiet for my liking.

Steeling herself she added a kernel of truth to the page.

In truth I haven't written because I hardly know what to say.

Thank you for your letters, and your gifts. Cassius hasn't had much interest in them yet, but I am spoiling both horses enough for two people.

All of my affection,

Emmeline.

Her letter to Emily said much the same, and she sealed and sent both of them off before she could worry over it any further. It would take days for her letters to reply, and even longer for a reply to return back, so there was no point thinking about what her friends might say for at least a week.

....

Cassius watched a messenger leave the estate on horseback as his mother droned on in his ear. Her grip on his arm was rigid as he escorted her around the grounds for a morning walk.

Internally he wanted to moan, to complain that his morning slice of peace had been stolen away from him. A stroll around the grounds first thing was part of his routine that he thoroughly enjoyed, the fresh air bracing him for the day ahead.

When he had happily trotted down the stairs this morning, however, his mother had been waiting for him.

"You spoke to your father." His mother finally spoke after ten minutes of walking in silence. Cassius tried not to sigh. Of course his father had told his mother everything. He supposed it was nice to have his parents be so close and loving, but at times like this, it was irritating.

"I speak to father about a great many things." He answered evasively. With a wince he was flicked by long finger nails, something his mother used to do on his forehead when he was a child. Now that she couldn't reach, the corner of his jaw was her new target.

"Ouch." He frowned at her. Her vibrant eyes were narrowed.

"Don't play coy with me. You told your father that the Claude girl displeases you."

That wasn't what he had said at all. He hadn't really said much of anything, his father answering his concerns before he had even fully articulated them.

Fighting the urge to roll his eyes, he spoke. "No, that isn't what I said, I hardly said anything at all."

Carmen tutted impatiently. "You didn't need to, your disinterest in her is apparent." She scowled at the sunshine like it displeased her. If he had been in a better mood, he would've found his mother's indignation amusing. It was always humorous to him how such a tiny woman could look so formidable, like mother nature herself would do well not to cross her. Today however, he was not in such an affable mood.

"Am I not allowed to have an opinion on my future duchess?" He asked combatively.

Carmen's expression twisted. "If it is an objective one."

"So is judgement not to be trusted now?"

Dropping his arm dramatically Carmen threw her hands in the air as if to ask the gods for strength. "I am saying that perhaps you are too preoccupied with the Elva girl to focus on what is important."

Cassius stilled, had he not, just last night been watching her from his window? He had not spent much of his time with Ottilie thinking of Emmeline? Like a child caught doing something wrong, excuses poured from him at once.

"How can I not when Miss Claude seems hell bent on making every conversation about her, or the pairing?" He continued talking, his frustrations spilling out.

Carmen rounded on him, the jewels in her tightly styled hair catching the light and dazzling him for a fleeting second. "Don't give me weak excuses. Weak excuses are for weak men." She hissed, pointing her finger menacingly, with one of her pointed nails she jabbed him in the sternum as she spoke, enunciating each and every word. "You will do your duty to this house, to this duchy. You will ignore that upstart's brat and do what you are told. Do I make myself clear?"

Cassius blinked, his mother's sudden venom knocking him off guard. Nodding he flinched as she poked him once again in the chest.

"Yes mother."

Carmen nodded, her eyes still narrowed, before stalking away. Over her shoulder she called, "I expect to see you and Miss Claude getting along famously by dinnertime tonight."

................................................................................................................................................................

Author's Note:

Comment if you see any spelling/ grammar errors! It really helps.

Sophie x