Chapter Sixty-One

Emmeline heard a shouted curse word echo across the ground and knew who had yelled it at once. Leaping from her seat she frowned against the sun as she headed towards the sound. It had been to the south of her somewhere, wrapping her cloak around herself more tightly, she walked across the lawns, picking up her feet to avoid getting her skirts getting too wet from the morning dew.

"Cassius?" She called gently, her voice carrying across the empty grounds. "Cass-" Her voice was cut short when a tall figure appeared from behind a large oak.

Before she could say anything he had crossed the space between them in four long strides, grabbing her roughly and pulling her against his chest.

She froze for a second before tentatively dropping her guard, patting him once on the back. He didn't let her go for a long minute. "Cassius I-" She began but she was abruptly let go, Cassius taking two paces backwards. He looked tired, his hair was messy, and the bags under his eyes blue.

"Emmeline." He greeted, like their embrace seconds earlier hadn't happened.

Slightly caught off guard she hesitated. "Are you- how are you feeling today?" She cleared her throat.

Cassius swallowed, his adam's-apple bobbing in his throat and Emmeline was struck by the sudden memory of running her tongue up the side of his neck. Shaking her head she turned suddenly away, marching in the opposite direction.

"Wait-" He called, rushing to fall into step beside her. She didn't look up at him right away; she couldn't. "I shouldn't have touched you without your consent." He admitted after a moment. Emmeline stopped, staring at him. He thought she was upset by him hugging her? She had been surprised, but upset? No, she definitely wasn't upset.

"It's fine Cassius. You looked cold so I thought we would head inside." Not her best recovery but he seemed to accept it, nodding and joining her as she moved towards the house.

"So, how are you feeling today?" She asked again.

At her side, Cassius stretched, his long arms reaching impossibly high into the sky. Sometimes she couldn't help but admire just how tall he was. Rolling his shoulders, he clicked his neck as they walked, like he was limbering up for exercise. "I'm hungover." He told the sky, looking down at her eventually with a wolfish grin. "I am sorry I just grabbed you there." He added, his eyes softening.

Emmeline released the lip she had been chewing on and smiled a small smile. "I really don't mind."

Still walking, he threw an arm around her shoulder for a brief moment, pulling her tight against his side for a few seconds before releasing her.

Secretly, she was pleased that the closeness that had developed between them last night wasn't a one-night thing, but at the same time, this new affection scared her. She was walking a fiery line between enjoying Cassius' company and being in danger of getting too attached. Whatever she and he thought of each other, the Grand Duke and Duchess were still going to send her away at some point.

The warmth of the manor enveloped them as they stepped inside, the large fire burning in the entrance hall throwing out heat at an impressive rate. Emmeline always marvelled at just how huge the hearths were in the houses of the nobility, she could easily stand inside on her very tip toes and still not reach the mantle.

She drifted forwards towards the flames, holding up her hands towards the warmth. It wasn't especially cold outside, but it wasn't warm either and the heat of the fire on her palms felt nice. A hand reached forward and snagged hers out of the air. "Library?" Cassius asked, already leading her by the hand.

She should pull away, as she watched his back she pictured herself yanking her hand free, seeing it in her mind as if it was really happening. Yet as she felt the growing pressure to break free, she found she couldn't quite force herself to do it.

Mr Olivers was there as they entered, holding an armful of scrolls and trying to open the library double doors at the same time. Emmeline took the opportunity to break the connection between them, rushing forward to hold the door open.

"Mr Olivers, allow me." She insisted, helping the older man forward through the door.

Cassius' lips quirked, she could be so kind. Mr Olivers looked a mixture between horrified at Emmeline serving him, and pleased at the warm gesture.

"Your grace, honestly I'm-" he spluttered, his armful of papers shifting in his grip. Sighing, a little amused, Cassius reached forward and took half of the scrolls out of the man's hands. Mr Oliver's eyebrows shot even higher into his white hair. "Your grace!"

"Hush, let us help you." Emmeline chided, heading inside and grinning at Cassius as he passed her. Her smile felt like a reward. Once they had helped Mr Olivers at his desk Emmeline headed for their usual chairs by the fire, but Cassius lingered by the steward's side.

"How goes it looking into the by-laws?" He asked, his tone hopeful. Mr Olivers glanced from him to Emmeline and smiled sagely.

"I'm sorry your Grace but I have had to request a document from the royal library regarding the first pairings. It may take a week or even two for the document to arrive. It is essential I check the document before anything can progress. I'm sorry for the delay." His words were apologetic but his expression was anything but. Cassius smiled widely, patting the man on the shoulder.

"Thank you friend. I am grateful." He nodded.

Mr Olivers looked again at Emmeline across the room. "She will be a wonderful duchess. I pray I live long enough to serve her and I have faithfully served your parents."

Cassius gave his thanks again, patting the man's shoulder once more before leaving to join his pair by the fire. 

.............................................................

Author's Note:

So I actually took a break from writing this book and focused on my other novel 'Indentured' for a couple weeks. I think I was just worn out from writing the Ball scenes. No idea why I found it so difficult, but it took it out of me creatively. 

Well, I am back at it and writing Indentured chapters again. I am enjoying it so much more after having taken a small break. 

Hope you like this chapter. Please vote and comment. It helps me so much.

Thanks,

Sophie x