Chapter Two

The Elva family estates were modest. A few hundred acres of land; tenants sprinkled across the fields. Her family had been elevated twenty years ago when her father had gained new patronage from the king in exchange for his bravery at sea during the last war against Listillia. Their father was a hard man, courageous and determined but not exactly affectionate or paternal. Their mother had died giving birth to Emmeline and her father, though he didn't say it aloud, had never forgiven her for it.

"You know what Emmie; I am hopeful for you." Atticus called her attention back inside the carriage as the very last glimpse of the roof vanished behind trees.

Emmeline shot him a questioning look. Atticus nodded, seeming to convince himself as he spoke. "You deserve the very best in life sister, and I am sure that your perfect partner will be someone who can give you that."

It was a kind thing to say, but she didn't hold much stock in his words. "You think so?" She murmured, wondering what Hazel was doing now her chambers were unoccupied. Would she serve one of her brother's wives now? Would she be sent to another house? Worry fussed in her stomach at the thought of her young maid, only a few years older than herself.

"I do." Atticus said confidently, leaning forward to pat his sister's hand comfortingly.

One benefit of their family's modest estates was that it was only an hour from the capital. It took only a short while to begin to hear the rumble of sounds that signalled their approach to the great city. Emmeline had to contain her excitement, the sudden rush in her stomach feeling so at odds with the heavy dread that had been settled there for weeks. She loved visiting the city and seeing friends, but today she would've preferred not to go.

"Are you scared?" Atticus asked after a long silence that had spanned almost the whole hour. She looked up at him. He had aged since he had left their family home, going to live on the Baroness's estates instead. His blonde hair had become less shiny, flatter in the sunlight somehow. Fine lines had begun to crease the corners of his eyes, not laughter lines, lines that spoke to stress and lack of sleep.

She had joked with Hazel that the baroness and her muddled affairs were sucking the life out of brother but seeing him today, the thought wasn't so funny anymore.

Realising that he was still waiting for her answer she rushed to reply. "No." It was a lie of course; she was terrified. What if she was paired with an old man? What if her perfect partner was cruel and unkind? What if, worst of all, there was no partner for her, and she would have to return home disgraced?

These anxieties had been springing up over the past few weeks, appearing in her dreams and popping up in her thoughts at inopportune times.

"It's okay if you are. I would be." He admitted, winking at her. For a moment she considered sharing her fears, but her eyes drifted to the new wrinkles on her brother's still youthful face and decided against it. He didn't need any more worry about.

Emmeline straightened a little, trying to seem braver than she felt. "Atticus, this pairing is going to put me with my perfect partner. I will be happy. How could I not be if I am with my perfect partner?"

With relief she saw him look slightly cheered by her confidence. "Absolutely, you are right Emmie. Of course you are." He agreed enthusiastically, almost... relieved.

The noise of the capital could be heard before it was fully seen. Carriages had to line up, waiting to be admitted in through the city's imposing gates. Emmeline went to lean out of the carriage to better see what was going on, but was snared by her brother who pulled her inside by the back of her dress.

"Ow." She grumbled, looking at him with narrowed eyes.

Atticus frowned at her in return. "It isn't proper to be seen hanging out the side of one's carriage like a common merchant." He admonished her. Emmeline said nothing, crossing her arms over her chest and fixing her eyes on what she could see from her window.

She hated the nonsense of etiquette, pointless rules that never seemed to achieve anything other than giving people an opportunity to point out what you were doing wrong and how you shouldn't act like yourself. Not that she didn't know how to behave, she did. A countless stream of harsh tutors, dancing teachers, and governesses had seen to that. It was just that she didn't see the value in it.

Armed guards finally rolled into view as they reached the front of the queue. "Apologies for the delay My Lord, Your Ladyship." A stout man decked in the impressive royal colours of the empire addressed them, a large clipboard in his hand.

Atticus acknowledged his apology with a polite nod. "Not at all. I am Baron Elva, accompanying my sister Lady Emmeline Elva to the pairing."

The guard did a good job of hiding his surprise but not quite good enough for Emmeline to miss the look he gave his papers. Writing down their names he waved them through.

.

The pairing hall was a prominent feature in the Capital's skyline. An ancient institution where young single people would enter and be paired with their true match. A great domed building with stretching additions on each side, the architecture lavish. Each monarch added to the institution, it being a sign of generosity and benevolence to enrich that which helped the people of the kingdom of Justinia find love and happiness. Atticus made an impressed sound in his throat as they passed through the golden gates and into the courtyard. Theirs was the only coach, the other participants entering on foot. Eyes lingered on them as their footman opened the doors. Atticus assisted her as she stepped down, holding her hand tightly. Pulling her into a crushing hug, she felt him take an unsteady breath before releasing her. "I shall ask father to be there with us at the pairing ceremony." He promised, a hand on each side of her face. Tears threatened but Atticus thumbed them away. "No, none of that. Be brave for me Emmie."

Emmeline nodded fiercely, taking her case, and heading inside amidst the stares of those around her. Almost none of them had luggage and she worried that perhaps it would be taken from her. Till an attendant appeared before her with a serene smile.

An older woman, dressed in the ceremonial gold and white robes of the pairing order, greeted her. Placing a hand on the small of her back she steered her away from the doors and deeper into the imposing building. With a surge of panic she glanced over her shoulder for Atticus, seeing him wave once before disappearing, as she rounded a corner.

=====================================================

Author's Notes:

Spoiler - I love Atticus. 

Please vote below if you are enjoying the book so far!

Thanks all,

Sophie.