Chapter Sixty-Six

Emmeline paced as Clementine readied her clothes. Normally this was done whilst she was sleeping, but sleep eluded her as the sun rose. All night her mind had been an angry hive of thoughts, keeping her from slipping into blissful slumber. It had only hit her last night that Cassius would truly be gone in the morning. She had known he was going, of course, but after spending such a lovely day together the awful prospect of him not being there had suddenly become frighteningly real to her. With Cassius gone, what would her days be like here at Marcellus Manor? What would she do? Who would she talk to? She had grown so used to his presence she could hardly remember how she filled her days before. The thought of his absence and the loneliness that would be left in his wake had her stomach in knots.

Anxiety, fuelled by uncertainty, made her blood rush through her veins as she waited for her maid to finish her tasks and dress her.

"My Lady, are you so worried over Master Cassius' leaving?" Clementine asked, a rosy-eyed look across her features. Emmeline paused, was that what she looked like from the outside? A woman worried over the departure and safety of her ordained pair?

She stopped pacing abruptly. "Yes." It was easier to let Clem assume that that was the cause of her anxiety, rather than her more selfish thoughts. Her own boredom was a selfish thing to focus on, but it was easier than thinking about what dangers lay ahead for Cassius. She supposed she should be more focused on Cassius' departure than her own fate, but there was something about Cassius that invited confidence. The way he carried himself, the strength he seemed to emanate, it made the thought of him falling in battle seem impossible. She stilled. That wasn't a thing to think about.

No, it was better to focus on one thing at a time at the moment. She needed to think about herself and the uncertain future she was imminently facing. Probably.

Clementine was mercifully quick as she readied Emmeline for the day. She spent a little extra time on her hair and makeup in an attempt, she suspected, to make her look her best to see off the men. Emmeline didn't comment on this, unsure if she supported this idea or not.

It was torture to sit still whilst Clementine painted and powdered her face, her limit fast approaching as her foot tapped impatiently. She was considering asking Clementine how much longer when a soft knock at her door distracted her.

"Done." Clementine breathed, clearly pleased, as she hurried to open the door.

Cassius stood in the hallway waiting, looking more handsome than ever. Emmeline caught herself staring as he entered, seating himself on her loveseat. Clad in chainmail with a brilliantly coloured tabard over the top that made him seem oddly taller, if that possible. Without a word he moved to sit beside her, his long legs stretching out far beyond the edges of the rug the loveseat sat atop, his limbs seeming impossibly big compared to her own petite appendages. Glancing at his face she blushed when she realised that he had been watching her look him up and down.

Patting the space next to him, Emmeline blindly obeyed, moving a little closer till their sides were touching. Her knees brushes against his thigh, the contact not helping her focus on his words.

"Please keep your promise and stay here while I'm away. I spoke to father, and he agrees that it is best to keep you here."

Emmeline's brows rose into her hairline. "Your father said that?" her incredulity making Cassius chuckle.

"Hmmm." He hummed; the sound deliciously distracting. "Well, I actually said that I would find it difficult to concentrate if I knew you were anywhere but here. He agreed that, in that case, you should stay put." Placing his hand heavily on her knee she found herself thinking of the carriage ride, her face growing pink.