Season 2 Episode 26 - Anniversary

[MARTHA'S POV]

Alec and I were swimming through the reefs off the shore when he had a genius idea. He came to a sudden stop when he discontinued flapping his tail-fin. I twisted around in the water to check what the problem was.
'Everything okay?' I thought-spoke.
'What's today's date?' He asked.
'14th of February. Why?'
'This time last year, we got famous. Crazy, right?'
'I'm sensing that this isn't the reason you're acting so strange, is it?'
'What if we actually celebrated it?'
'Can't we do it tomorrow, though? It was supposed to be Dylan and Oliver's anniversary today but they broke up, remember?'
'Ahh, you have a point.'
'So, tomorrow, then?'
'Sure, but where?'
'I know a spot. We'll get it together, though, don't worry.'
The next day, we had our families help set up a gathering while we were at school. It was odd to have this on a Monday, but Alec's family didn't mind, and neither did Ivan's. It was a surprise that only the other Guardians didn't know about. Some of our family members were there, so it felt extra special to know that they supported us, especially mine. Normally, my family wouldn't come on land, nor associate with regular humans, unless it's absolutely necessary. Alec and I got the last of it set up and he grew vines to cover any open ends from the others.
When they arrived, we ran over to welcome them. "Dylan, Oliver, Eric, Ivan, Alya, Margot," I began, "We never really got to celebrate our Anniversary of Guardianship."
"All our predecessors did it, so why shouldn't we?" Alec shrugged.
"What are you guys planning?" Alya folded her arms.
"Why would we spoil the surprise by telling you, when we could just show you instead?" I winked playfully, looked over at Alec and nodded.
He took this as a signal and willed the vines to reveal the beach party. They all gasped in awe.
"When did you guys get the time to come up with this?" Dylan was clearly amazed at our efforts. "Camps Bay isn't bad for a beach party."
"We had 24 hours but we pulled it together." Alec playfully nudged me in the arm.
Later on in the afternoon, I was looking around at all the different groups of people mingling. Alec's family and mine were getting real cozy. It was quite surprising that my Aunties didn't sneak off to the water and leave. Ivan and Alya's families were the best of friends already. It was quite hilarious watching her little brother, Khan, trying to flirt with his older sister, Samira. Dylan and Oliver were awkward together, unsurprisingly. There was even a live band playing, the Mossels. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the music until it was interrupted by the microphone giving sharp feedback as Mrs Daccarey made her way onto the low-lying stage. As the music faded, everyone's attention was turned towards her.
"Good afternoon, everyone," she began with one of her notorious monologues, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate our heroes, to celebrate the time of their calling. Friends, family and Squires, alike, are all here for you, Dylan, Martha, Alya, Ivan and Alec." She looked around awkwardly, "If you wouldn't mind coming forward..." Everyone had a little giggle as we walked to the foot of the stage. "We are also here to celebrate the new additions to the team. Eric, Oliver and Margot." The three of them also came forward to join us. "Eric has been called to be the new Shadow Guardian, Oliver has been called to be the new Light Guardian, and Margot has been called to be the new Magic Guardian. We are eternally grateful for all that you do for us every single day. You are true examples of what heroes should be." She raised her fist to the sky. "To the Guardians!"
"To the Guardians!" Everyone else joined in on the chant, and applauded generously thereafter. It felt good to be recognised for our efforts. Not by the media, but rather by our loved ones.