|79| Tick Tock

Tick Tock
by Dumaraos, Jomar Patrick I.

Tick tock says by the clock

And it is raining outsideI'm running out of time!

From the author:

The poem encapsulates the overwhelming feeling of pressure and anxiety that arises from the pursuit of achievements or impact within a limited time frame. The sound of the clock serves as a relentless reminder of time's inexorable march, even though the author perceives it as an illusion. The rain outside symbolizes the additional stressors generated by internal tensions like self-doubt and external pressures from peers and family. The concluding line reflects the writer's reaction to this mounting pressure and anxiety. Overall, the haiku portrays the sense of urgency imposed by time or circumstance, juxtaposed with the perceived lack of accomplishments despite being in a mature and active state.

In effect, while the haiku may initially seem superficial, delving deeper reveals its profound and relatable meaning. It serves as a poignant reminder that everyone experiences similar challenges during certain stages of life, akin to the author's struggles. The poem captures the universal experience of feeling overwhelmed and emotionally drained by pressure. It can offer solace to those grappling with their emotions, providing a sense of understanding and companionship. Conversely, it may also prompt reflection on the importance of pacing oneself and not succumbing to the negative implications depicted in the poem. Ultimately, it encourages the recognition that each individual has their own journey and timeline, and there is no need to rush through life's challenges.