|77| Drifting

Drifting
by Domincel Joahanna Christia S.

Melancholic sea

A drifting sturdy vessel

Brewing storms at dawn

from the author:

The essence of the poem delves into the profound sense of depression arising from challenging circumstances. The melancholic sea serves as a poignant metaphor, encapsulating the overwhelming emotions tied to the predicament one finds themselves in. The term "melancholic" conveys a depth of extreme sadness and gloominess, embodying the emotional state of the individual.

Within the poem, the sea can be interpreted as a representation of the broader world or, more specifically, the inherent problem at hand. The vessel, synonymous with a ship, symbolizes the person navigating through life. Described as sturdy, it reflects strength and resilience, yet it is adrift, carried slowly by the currents. This drifting signifies a lack of control, where one finds themselves in a situation unplanned and uncharted.

The mention of brewing storms alludes to the presence of unpleasant circumstances, akin to a tempest. The storm brings rain, metaphorically representing tears shed during struggles. The notion of staying awake until dawn, crying, implies the endurance of hardship.

In the context of the current global pandemic, readers may find a relatable resonance with the poem. The inevitable changes brought about by the pandemic have led to a sense of unease and, for some, depression. The poem encourages readers to embody the traits of a sturdy vessel, navigating through the sea of challenges with trust in the currents.

The metaphor emphasizes that storms, though intense, are transient. Dawn signifies the end of the tempest, and the rising sun promises a new beginning. The melancholic sea, once foreboding, transforms into a paradisiacal expanse, with the currents guiding individuals towards golden shores. Through this, readers may discover solace and hope in the understanding that difficulties are temporary, and brighter days lie ahead.