|62| A Villain's Paramour

A Villain's Paramour
Haiku by Ly Mhoulei Sigrid H. Pasco

Prime taste of venom,

vanquished, both quanta vouchsafes,

beaming twain espied.

From the author:

The inspiration for my self-written Haiku stems from the unlikely love between a villain and someone they unexpectedly fall for. Villains, often portrayed with tragic and misunderstood stories, serve as the muse for this Haiku structured in 5-7-5 format. Through these verses, I illustrate the unexpected journey villains take through the stages of desire.

Allow me to elucidate each part and its symbolism:

The initial line, "prime taste of venom," signifies the character falling in love with the other, portraying the first taste of love and the initial encounter with the villain's darkness, represented by the term "venom."

The second line, "Vanquished," suggests the villain overcoming their own heart's resistance, as being perceived as 'bad' often entails maintaining emotional barriers. It is followed by "Both quanta," symbolizing two individuals, and supplemented by "vouchsafes," denoting the act of granting something to someone.

Concluding the Haiku, "beaming twain espied" signifies two individuals seen radiantly bright or, in simpler terms, happy.

This Haiku narrates a story that commences unexpectedly but concludes on a positive note. My inspiration for this piece comes from Loki Laufeyson/Odinson, my favorite Marvel character from Thor. I aim to convey to readers an understanding of different individuals, emphasizing that, irrespective of how they start or are perceived, experiencing love can lead to reciprocal and unconditional affection.

I wish to clarify that this Haiku does not advocate for romanticizing toxic relationships. Rather, it underscores the transformative power of love when one is willing to change for the better. Ultimately, the poem asserts that personal happiness should be defined by one's authentic choices, rather than conforming to societal expectations imposed upon them.