|72| Thunder roars in town,

Thunder Roars in Town,
By Hazel Joyce A. Dela Cueva

Thunder roars in town,

Working owl in the city,

Sweet coco honey.

From the author:

To unlock the meaning of this haiku, let us begin by discussing the symbolism embedded within it.

The line "Thunder roars" symbolizes the people freely voicing their harsh opinions around us, while "town" refers to our hometown. Despite the welcoming and homey vibe typically associated with the word "hometown," the bitter truth is that it harbors infamous critics. The "Owl," a nocturnal creature, represents a person working diligently without others' awareness. When someone comments that a person looks like an owl, it implies they appear stressed with dark circles under their eyes. In this poem, the owl signifies someone working tirelessly, sacrificing sleep to pursue their dreams. "Sweet coco honey" simply conveys the fruit of one's labor. Crafting coco jams and honey demands meticulous effort and time, analogous to the patience required to enjoy the final product.

This poem conveys that our most significant critics often come from those close to us, whether family or neighbors feigning interest in everyone's lives. It underscores the notion that people will always have something to say about us, even when ignorant of our struggles. Their opinions are like thunder—natural yet impactful. The resounding echoes of disparaging words hurt us most during our darkest days. However, unbeknownst to them, we are like owls, actively working while they rest. Despite discouragement, we remain hopeful, striving for the day when we taste the fruits of our labor and sacrifices.

Life inevitably brings individuals who attempt to bring us down, but we must not heed their voices. Although we may be emotionally affected, we must not allow their opinions to define our reality. Personally, this poem has strengthened me mentally, motivating me to persist even when others fail to recognize my efforts. It reinforces the idea that progress will continue, and eventually, they will witness the life I aspire to lead—for myself and the dreams I hold for my family. Thus, the poem instilled in me the understanding that the best revenge is showcasing what others believed I could never attain in life.