CHAPTER 63

That day, the boss seemed to have lost his mind, repeatedly shouting "300 won" and was eventually kicked out by the security guard. I intentionally turned off my phone the whole day. I was concerned that he might contact me to offer congratulations, or worse, send me a wreath, so I had informed the security guard in advance to discard any flowers that arrived.

While the flowers may have been filtered out, other things were not. The next day, when rice cakes were delivered, I cursed under my breath like a madman. Because my phone was turned off, I couldn't reach the madman, but I didn't mind because it was all his fault. However, two mornings later, on my way to the studio for the rest of the filming, the manager inquired with curiosity.

"I tried calling you last night, but your phone was off. Did something happen?"

"No, why?"

"Well, I tried calling to let you know that there's an opening for the role you requested. It's just a one-liner, but it's an opportunity."

When I realized it was Myungshin's role, I set aside the script I had been holding in the car.

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow..."

The manager mumbled, looking a bit embarrassed, and then turned to me.

"Quite sudden, right? But Myungshin's shoot is almost over, and there aren't many scenes left."

"I don't mind tomorrow."

I replied and added in my thoughts, the sooner, the better. I couldn't afford to give Myungshin any respite.

*****

The same applies to movies, but filming a drama is more laborious than people might think. To capture a scene that will appear on TV, multiple steps are involved, not to mention retakes with NGs. While the viewers may not notice, each scene is filmed from various angles. In other words, you have to act the same scene multiple times from different perspectives.

For example, in a conversation scene between two characters, A and B, there are typically three basic camera setups: one focused on A, one on B, and one showing both A and B together. During an acting class, the instructor explained that these various camera angles create a three-dimensional sense of space for the viewer. In any case, acting is a task that requires patience.

The drama in which Myungshin was appearing was nearing its end. With the script completed, there seemed to be some flexibility in the filming schedule. On this particular day, it wasn't the main producer overseeing the shoot, but a young producer working under them.

Before the shoot, the manager introduced me to her. I wasn't sure how the manager had arranged for this role on that day, but it was evident that the young producer was not someone he was acquainted with. She greeted the manager with a half-heartedly and then turned away.

While the manager might have been ignored by the busiest person on set, he remained unfazed, as if he were accustomed to such treatment. In fact, he made an extra effort to introduce me to each person individually, greeting them warmly.

As I followed the manager's lead, observing his polite interactions with those younger than him, I realized that I couldn't afford to make any mistakes on this job. It was just a single line, but I needed to focus and do it right.

This responsibility had initially been about doing it for Myungshin, but the manager's actions had added an extra layer of motivation. Fortunately, when it came to acting, I possessed the talent of not feeling scared or nervous. It was an advantage I had over others. Just as the madman had advised, the more fearful you are, the more vulnerable you become to attacks.