CHAPTER 14

-Childish pranks-

I went down to the basement where the classes were being held, just then I heard the manager complain about my eye bags maybe because I didn't get enough sleep. On one side, the manager explained that the class teacher was a famous lecturer as well as a good actor, pulling me by the arm before entering and handing me something with a hesitant smile. It was a tape recorder that was only slightly longer than his finger.

" It's originally for you to hear what your own voice sounds like, but I thought it would be more helpful for you to record the lesson and listen to it."

I took it and said thank you, he briefly explained how it works. After having a long conversation in front of the half-opened door, I was finally able to enter. There were a few people still chatting because it wasn't time for class yet, but as soon as I walked in, all eyes were on me. I put the manager's tape recorder in my pocket and approached them. A total of four men. The first person who came to talk to me was a blond boy with a bright aura just like Hansoo.

" Ah, I heard that a new rookie was coming in today. Is that you? From now on you will be in the same class as us. I recently joined too, so let's help each other."

When I took his outstretched hand, the man beside him crossed his arms and snorted.

" I heard you got scouted by Manager Lee? Look at that face, looks like you don't have any money either, probably won't even last a month."

Glancing at my shabby clothes, he, the ugliest person In all four, asked the man next to me, for everyone to hear.

" I didn't know the standards here were so low? Where do these no names come from, really. "

Then, the sharp-looking man beside him started to laughed and open his mouth to me.

"You really don't have any money? Are you planning to go off in a rough style? It's no use these days."

He opened his mouth and harshly pointed at the last man standing next to him who still hadn't said a word.

"He's is a good example, It's been 4 years and he still hasn't debuted. Because he's too old, there's nothing for him to do anymore, so he only takes lessons here. Because he doesn't have any money or connections ."

I turned my gaze to the last man, whose seemingly gentle appearance made eye contact with me. He didn't get angry at those openly demeaning words, but just smiled bitterly and held out his hand.

" You have chosen a difficult path. But welcome anyway. "

Accepting his greeting, I bowed slightly to the four of them.

" I am looking forward to the class we will attend together. "

The four different people had different reactions to this calm greeting. Interest, frustration, indifference, wary. I kept these mixed reactions in mind. Then, as I watched them one by one, I heard the instructor enter the room. My first official class begun.

The tape recorder the manager gave me was quite helpful. Today was a 4- hour class on vocal and pronunciation practice, listening to my own voice directly helped me apply what I learned by practise as it gave me a direct idea of where I needed to correct myself. During the three breaks, I tried to rehydrate, listen to my voice again and find a way to fix it immediately. After finishing a rather long class, I was packing up my things and putting them in my bag when the teacher called me on me back. Perhaps because it was my first time, the instructor advised me to fix here and there, as I tried to memorise it and nodded.

" I heard you never took acting lessons, but your pronunciation is quite good. Your voice is also loud and clear. "

My clear loud voice may be due to shouting in fights in the past. I just bowed my head to the teacher's praise, thinking that there was no need to explain anything. After saying goodbye to the lecturer, I returned to my bag and was about to leave the place, but I couldn't find the jacket I took off. For a moment, I realized I was the only one left in the room, so I picked up my bag and looked around. Obviously I had put my clothes in my bag. Furthermore, inside the jacket there was the tape recorder that the manager gave me. Just in case I didn't look correctly, I looked around the room again, when someone poked their head out through the open door. When that striking blonde saw me, he stretched out his upper half and waved at me. As I approached, he asked in a serious tone.