CHAPTER 66

Ugh.

An involuntary groan escaped me as I struggled under the weight of the good impression. Gritting my teeth, I forced myself to stand, but it was a challenge to remain upright, and my legs quivered with the burden of a single person. It felt nearly impossible to take another step, but eventually, I managed to move forward. As I walked, a weak voice called out.

"Me too... take me too."

Turning my head, I saw the boy, barely able to lift his gaze, looking at me with pleading eyes. I responded coldly.

"If you want to come with me, get up on your own two feet."

He trembled, attempting to raise his upper body with his arms, but soon collapsed helplessly, tearfully looking up at me.

"I.. I can't do it. Ugh......"

I changed direction and approached him. Looking down at the crying boy, I spoke sharply.

"Stop whining and get up, kid."

My harsh words made him flinch. After trembling and struggling to move his body for a while, he managed to stand on both feet with great effort. Taking him along, I headed towards the area where the mad dog's subordinates lay. Hyungseok was nowhere to be found among them; he had likely fled while I was engaged in the fight.

While moving past them, I couldn't hear any sound, so I turned around to look, and the boy stood frozen with fear. His pupils were tainted with terror. These guys were already unconscious and helpless, yet his eyes were filled with fear. I deliberately pointed to one of the fallen guys with my chin and gave an order.

"That guy has a phone in his pocket. Take it out and turn it on."

"M.. me?"

"Yeah."

I firmly added to him, who was frightened.

"You have to do it."

*****

When we reached the first floor, the boy entered a room resembling a nurse's office and fetched two long outer garments that resembled gowns. As I observed him bringing out the clothes, I heard a soft whisper from the person on my back.

"Why.....Did you come?"

It seemed he was aware that the mad dog had called me and subsequently passed out. No, perhaps he had been faintly attentive to everything. I explained to him the reason for my arrival.

"To remind myself."

Although I caught a faint inquiry of 'What?' I refrained from providing further explanation. He appeared to have lost consciousness again, so even if I elucidated, he might not have heard. Yet, what I shared with him was the truth. I needed a reminder of the fact I had pushed to the back of my mind, primarily because my heart raced whenever I met the madman. Amidst interactions with pleasant people like my manager, Hansoo, Alice's boss, and Alice's manager, I had to reaffirm the reality that I had cornered.

One must approach everything with the willingness to accept the consequences. At least, when embarking on revenge, this clarity returned. Regardless of the potential price, I was steadfast in my commitment to seek revenge. From luring in the good impression to deceiving Hyungseok into becoming like Myeongshin, I recognized that the repercussions of these actions could rebound towards me like a boomerang.

Meeting pleasant people around me and meeting someone who stirred my heart momentarily led me to forget. Perhaps, if fortune favored me, revenge would conclude with just that. At some point, I realized I had been harboring hopes for a happy ending. When I received the mad dog's phone call, I comprehended what I had overlooked and what was causing my anxiety.