CHAPTER 43

I had consumed a hearty breakfast, and now I was attempting to alleviate the discomfort in my stomach by focusing on my breathing. I was seated in a luxurious car that glided smoothly through the city, observing the passing scenery. The reason for my overeating was the madman. He had teased me playfully at the hotel's breakfast buffet, and as a result, I found myself eating several plates of food. Strangely, he had not indulged in the meal much because he was engaged in a lengthy phone call throughout breakfast. The conversation was in English, so I couldn't comprehend what was being discussed, but I could tell that he was frustrated with the other person, likely because things hadn't gone as planned. He had mentioned that he was awaiting an important call from the US, which was why he had arrived late the previous day. Perhaps the call hadn't gone well?

After he hung up the phone, he drove in silence all the way to the company. It wasn't that the car was completely quiet; there was a constant background of a pop song playing on the audio system. I couldn't identify the singer, but the presence of a well-known pop song indicated it was a famous artist. I broke the silence when the car came to a stop at a traffic light just before reaching the company.

"Drop me off here."

"Why?"

Did he genuinely not know? I stared at him in astonishment, and he avoided my gaze.

"If someone sees me, rumors are scary, the crowded streets are more dangerous."

He started the car when the signal changed.

"Right, the company's underground parking lot will be very safe."

"What difference does it make? If someone from work sees you, they'll assume I gave you a ride on the way, but if they see you getting off near the company, they'll suspect otherwise. What's the point of hiding it?"

When he said it, I assumed it was true. I should never have gotten in this car in the first place. I felt a tiny regret, but he abruptly increased the audio volume. I was curious and asked because one song had just finished and another had just began.

"Do you like this song?"

"No."

The answer was so firm that my mind, which had asked carelessly, was now filled with wonder. His expression played a role in my curiosity. As soon as the song started, he smiled, twisting his lips as if thinking about something. Then he suddenly asked an unexpected question.

"Have you read everything yet?"

I nodded, knowing he was pointing to the screenplay I was holding on my lap.

"I have some left."

"Look at all that and see the original."

"..."

"That drama is a big company project, so there are lots of actors aiming for it."

Even though it was a big project, I strangely felt indifference as if it was someone else's business. Why? When I was wondering, I heard him add something.

"Especially Song Myungshin."

Then, as if he remembered something, he smiled at me.

"Of course you're after it, too."

The words that fell readily from his mouth sent a chill down my spine.

"... I never said anything like that."

"No, not directly. However, when you stated that you would approach 'Director Yoon' first, it essentially means the same thing. Not someone else, but Director Yoon. Isn't Song Myungshin's sponsor the first person you should approach in order to get revenge on him? You can simply snatch him away. However, because you mentioned 'Director Yoon' separately, you must have known that Song Myungshin was attempting to approach me. Only for the sake of drama."