CHAPTER 40

Beep~

The light at the entrance turned on when I pulled open the front door with an electric sound. Aside from that, the interior, which should have been gloomy, was already light. I stepped inside with caution since I was curious. The living room is in the heart of the strong light. It wasn't much that different from when I'd been there before. Scenarios, books, and papers that appear cluttered on the floor and table, a large window with a clear view of the dazzling night.

Nothing out of the ordinary there, but the problem was the madman sleeping on the sofa. He was on his back, one arm concealing his face and the other dangling from the sofa. A paper full of English words was unfolded like a fan at the tip of his fingertips that reached the floor. My rage at being forced to run all the way here gave way to frustration.

I was ready to turn back when I noticed a white briefcase on the cluttered table. I took up the documents and looked at the still unmoving man. I took the lighter from my pocket with the other hand. I don't smoke, but I bought it on purpose after getting off the bus. Obviously, to burn the papers.

Click.

The flame emerged from the lighter, striving to break free. However, as long as I held down the lighter's switch, I had to be in control. Just as I was about to bring the flame closer to the paper, I caught sight of the writing on the envelope.

'Cha Jungwoo'

Huh?

I had no idea the documents the madman had instructed me to seek for were linked to me. I instinctively shut off the lighter. When I saw a couple sheets of paper within, I pulled it out, and it appeared to be a familiar document at first sight. A format you've probably seen before. I realized why when I removed it fully.

'Contract'

As I examined the document, it became apparent why it felt familiar. The bold title 'contract' and the format were unmistakable. But before I could delve deeper into its contents, the madman interrupted.

"You don't need to see that."

He raised his upper body and glanced at his wristwatch, drowsy from sleep.

"It'll just get torn up by Cha Jungwoo anyway."

"What are you talking about?"

"I heard that Cha Jungwoo only called you over?"

Asking drowsily, he turned his shoulders as if to relax.

"Take it to him when you meet him. If you say the company gave it to you, he'll look at it."

"And rip it up immediately?"

'Ah, sure,' he mumbled, rising from the couch and twisting his neck from side to side. Did he get word from the road manager that Cha Jungwoo had called me alone? No matter how much time was granted, Cha Jungwoo is a valuable asset to the company and would not let it go... I frowned as I examined the contract.

But had he already made a contract? It would be adverse to Cha Jungwoo if it was a contract that he would rip as soon as he saw it. In fact, the company had stated that they were aware of Cha Jungwoo's problem in advance. I remembered the facts the manager had told me, but something didn't feel right. Perhaps it was the casual way the madman had mentioned that Cha Jungwoo would tear it up. Nonetheless, his words brought me back to the present.

"He needs to get the shock out of his system now, so that when your manager picks it up, he can sign it properly."

"Do you trust my manager?"

Did he think Cha Jungwoo will change his mind by tomorrow? The answer was also 'no'.

"No, I trust Cha Jungwoo."