CHAPTER 52

Some days seemed exceptionally lengthy. It felt that way when I was physically exhausted, but the same was true when my mind was weighed down by many thoughts. The darkness of the night appeared never-ending, and you'd start to wonder if the day would ever come to an end. These stretched-out moments were filled with a multitude of complicated concerns.

Tomorrow was the day we were scheduled to meet Chairman Kim, but would the madman show up? Did he have any knowledge of Chairman Kim's plans? And if he didn't, what would he make of it? Only one conclusion loomed on the horizon of these lingering questions. Could he really win? Beyond the persistent question mark, an unidentifiable sense of annoyance crept into my thoughts.

The road manager remained silent following that, but it was evident that the madman had hired him, perhaps to protect me. I should have been angry about this, but my feelings of bewilderment overshadowed any anger. While it was a blow to my pride, the fact that he had taken action on my behalf made my heart flutter slightly. It was this that irritated me, my inability to react in a normal way.

"Hey."

Hansoo, who had followed me to the bus stop after parting ways with the road manager, spoke up hesitantly. There must have been many things on his mind, and I looked back, thinking he had managed to endure them. But he asked as if he had been waiting.

"Who is Jay?"

"..."

"And does he know Road uncle and Taemin?"

"No."

After answering the second question without much trouble, Hansoo sighed in frustration and swallowed hard.

"But both of you know someone named Jay. How do you know him?"

"..."

I dodged the question once more, and he pouted in disappointment.

"You only pick on me."

When I continued to offer no response, he feigned greater despondency.

"I've known you longer, Taemin, and you only seem to dislike me."

"..."

The manager told us to be like brothers. What kind of brothers are like this..."

"Hey, I'll tell you, so stop."

Eventually, when I finally spoke in a hushed tone, Hansoo perked up and his eyes lit up as if he had never done that before.

"Who is Jay?"

"A madman."

"Ah, mad... huh!"

*****

It seemed like I had nearly stayed up all night with my eyes wide open. I knew it was morning because of a text message from the handsome guy early in the day.

-Hyungseok eventually brought another prey with him. Song Yoohan's reaction was amusing as he emerged before the party began. I believe he saw it as an opportunity to suck Chairman Kim's dick while he was not present. Song Yoohan may have picked up on Hyungseok's intents as well. Yesterday, Chairman Kim must have been in a high mood. The celebration ended not long ago. Please tell me. Isn't it worth my time to watch this horrible thing? Can you take down all of these fuckers?

The mix of characters smelled weirdly like tears. I replied quickly.

— Sure.

I hung up the phone and opened the book I'd been holding for a while. All I had to do now was wait. Myungshin twisting himself more and more, and me waiting for the proper opportunity to take advantage of it. And the appearance of the madman today. In the book, the main character was looking for the final clue in the song's lyrics. But he was skeptical. Could this song be another trap?