Santa's Lap

Written by sunfleurrose
——————————————————————————

Taeyong is a Christmas elf for a seasonal Santa's Workshop mall event, which he doesn't particularly enjoy.

However, he might change his mind tonight when their replacement Santa turns out to be kind of sexy.
——————————————————————————

Once upon a time, Taeyong really liked Christmas. All the lights, snow, Christmas movies, carols, and cheer had really enchanted him.

He had so many memories of the time he and his sister would have off from school. All their family members came into town and the house was bustling with warmth and laughter, never a dull or quiet moment. The two of them would leave milk and cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve then wake extra early the following morning to find them eaten and a whole row of vibrant shiny presents awaiting them under the tree.

Back then, magic had been real.

Right now, as Taeyong jingles in his costume when he hoists up the next child in line to get their picture with Santa only to be greeted by a spray of saliva as said child sneezes in his face, he winces and wonders at what point in his life did the Christmas magic start to fade?

His current surroundings certainly look magical, standing in the elaborate Santa's Workshop set up in the middle of mall. Whimsical miniature houses line the perimeter glittering with faux snow that resembles whipped frosting, giant presents of metallic green and red with elaborate bows fill all the corners, and in the very center of it all, a festively decorated hearth sits beside an equally as embellished towering tree, twinkling with lights, a giant ornate star shining at the top.

In the middle of this cozy, merry scene, a golden-framed burgundy velvet couch resides by the tree. Santa sits upon it, awaiting the line of children to hear what each and every one of them wants for Christmas before they pose together for a photo.

It all looks very magical on the surface, yes, but Taeyong sees it for what it is: the peak of glorified capitalism.

And, unfortunately, being part of the capitalistic system whether he likes it or not, and being a starving college student on top of that, means that Taeyong has to subject himself to various forms of degradation in order to get the bills paid and afford Christmas presents, not to mention save up to fix his car.

But that's another subject.

Taeyong hastily ushers the child along to pass off to Santa before turning away and dabbing his face with the green velveteen sleeve of his costume—one of Santa's helper elves, complete with pointy ears, peppermint striped tights, and dramatically curled-toe boots.

The fact that his platinum-bleached hair matches the costume immaculately is purely a coincidence.

He looks down at his sleeve, hoping he didn't smear the abundance of blush dusting his cheeks and nose too badly. He'd worry about getting sick, but honestly, that has been such a regular occurrence since he started this job last November that he's pretty sure his body has built up an immunity.

"Taeyong!"

Taeyong blinks up to see his manager, Doyoung, looking as severe as ever. Doyoung wears a matching costume, but he also has a headset hanging from one ear, a clipboard nestled in his arm, and an expression that is taking this temporary seasonal gig way too seriously.

"Customers are waiting!" Doyoung singsongs, a hint of threat underlying the tone.

"Right. Sorry." Taeyong turns to head back over to the line.