boys like you

Written by markly

——————————————————————————

Sungchan is a tall, broad alpha with a soft heart and a strange fascination for his little omega hyung Mark.

——————————————————————————

The first thing Haechan says to him is that his hyungs will always look out for him. The second thing he says is to be careful of Mark.

"Mark hyung?" Sungchan asks, tiling his head. "Why? Because he's an omega?"

Haechan's face is set in fine, straight lines and he has never seen him like this before. Eyes like an earth devoured by sun and if Haechan was an alpha, Sungchan thinks, the entire room would be filled with brimstone and woodsmoke.

"There are other omegas in our group," he says, voice low. "They'll treat you like the cute, young alpha you are and squeeze your cheeks until you bruise. You don't need to worry about them."

"Then why Mark hyung?" Why the person who hides nothing on his face, laughs in bursts until his eyes have creased into fine horizons and works until the light of the next day, glasses sweet and high on his nose? "He wouldn't hurt a fly."

"Exactly. He wouldn't hurt a fly," Haechan replies. "But you aren't a fly, are you?"

"He'll hurt me then?" Small, omega Mark, the one who stands a head shorter than him on a good day, insoles layered thick in his shoes? Sungchan almost feels offended by it and wonders what type of person Haechan thinks he is. Perhaps softer and quieter than your usual alpha, instincts trained to be subdued, but Sungchan is still an alpha broad in the chest with a natural strength that comes to his dynamic easily and surely an omega with bony fingers and narrow shoulders could hardly cause a bruise.

"Yes, you idiot," Haechan hisses and slaps him hard on the arm. "Don't take it lightly. He's kind and sincere and naive to a fault and that's exactly what makes him dangerous in a different way."

Sungchan rubs at his temples and feels his mind tangle itself up in words he hardly understands. "I don't get a thing you're saying." He thinks of the Mark he's seen in passing, giggling at jokes half-funny, letting himself be pestered by everyone else, touched and moulded to their liking. They've met only a few times but the person then had only looked up at him with all the light in the world and spoken to him as if they had been friends since childhood. A person with a face that hides nothing isn't someone to be worried about. If anything, he thinks, Mark is the one who should be worried. A sweet, small omega with eyes half the size of his face, a scent like a sun-soaked forest and a heart so open seems like he's asking for trouble in a group of touchy, feely people with a penchant for teasing darling boys like him.

Haechan sighs, throwing up his hands. "You don't understand now but you will. You alphas all do eventually," he says, rubbing at the side of his neck. Sungchan's eyes flick down at the movement and he's certain he sees two tiny indents in the skin - but then he remembers betas can't be mated, that there's no point in biting the spot there on their throat and surely, it must just be a trick of the light, moles burned brown from time and heat.

It's almost difficult seeing Haechan like this. So serious and worn, face looking older than it is, weighed down by sleepless nights and Sungchan can hardly stand it. "No, I get you. I trust you," he says, hoping to wash it all away. "I'll be careful."

He knows Haechan doesn't believe him by the way he looks at him, still tired and caught in a memory, but he throws an arm around his shoulders anyway and drags him down. "Good," he says, lips quirked in some strange imitation of his usual grin. "Now let's go. We've got a show to do."