Strawberry Lollipops & New Discoveries

Written by toffeehyuck

That beautiful, desperate whine rings loud and clear in the stillness of the air around them, "Markie, Markie, Markie, Mar--"

And, once again, Mark finds himself falling deeper into the pits of obsession.
***

Or Mark does everything he can to put his Donghyuck watching skills to good use.

———————————

🍭

For as long as they've been together, Mark was sure there wasn't a single thing about Donghyuck he didn't know. He knows all of his ticks and quirks, the habits that have been developed and maintained over the years. He has learned to love some of them, hate some of the others, and adapt to the ones that have no real bearing on their day-to-day. He has accepted them and moved on, but, lately, one habit in particular has fallen into the category of fascination.

Donghyuck bites his nails, and he's fascinated.

It's such a mundane activity to be dumbstruck by -- but he is. It's not like he was unaware of it to begin with. He always knew that Donghyuck bit his nails. He can recall many a time Donghyuck handed him the remote, dead batteries lodged in the holding, with an annoyed grumble of, "Nails too short." Donghyuck and his nail-biting habit isn't new, not in the slightest, so him being fascinated by the behavior would be senseless.

But not the why .

The intrigue is in the why .

Why does Donghyuck bite his nails?

It's a question he never cared enough to answer before, because it didn't need one. Again, the reasoning bore no weight on their lives, so Mark never took the time to examine it. But after feeling what it was like to have Donghyuck dig his sharp, jagged, nails into his back and claw his way down. . . He gets a tad bit breathless remembering the feeling, and he'll be damned if he denies himself that same sense of satisfaction.

He needs to know why Donghyuck bites his nails, he needs to know what was so different about that week that Donghyuck had the slightest of nails to begin with, and he needs to know how to get Donghyuck to lay off his nails.

What subtle difference in Donghyuck's behavior did he miss?

He's been trying to figure out why, and what changed, for days now and nothing sounds right or accurate. He's eliminated all the common causes like stress, frustration, concentration. None of them directly relate to what he sees Donghyuck do. The longest running theory he had was boredom. It seemed to be the sole factor that consistently occurred whenever he saw Donghyuck with his fingers in his mouth.

It seemed like the right answer.

But then here they were, in their apartment, surrounded by their ever growing number of friends, and Donghyuck once again had the tips of his fingers in his mouth. It was then and there that Mark eliminated boredom. There was no possible way Donghyuck could have been bored; he's surrounded by some of the most active, vibrant, loud people the world has to offer. But there he is, teeth working their way into the brittle edges of his nails.

He sits and watches.

Donghyuck is leaning against the kitchen counter, staring straight ahead, cloudy eyes fixated on some random point in front of him. Doyoung and Taeyong are bickering like the fully-grown children they are. They seem to have completely forgotten that Donghyuck is there until Taeyong shoves Doyoung away and turns to block him from Donghyuck's sight.