Chapter 45

Jungkook came out onto the court with the rest of his team's players and the fans immediately started chanting and cheering them on, which got the attention of SoYi who was momentarily distracted by her phone and her thoughts.

She looked up and looked towards the court which she could see very well, as she had found a front-row seat on the second floor of the stadium. Her eyes immediately came to Jungkook's face and even though he was smiling and greeting the fans she could immediately tell that he was full of concern.

Her eyes lingered and followed Jungkook's every move while he talked to the other players on his team and the coach and even as he exchanged glances with the opposing team, specifically with a player wearing the number 13.

SoYi didn't understand why exactly those looks that the two of them exchanged seemed somewhat hostile and at the same time threatening but she certainly didn't need to know the past between Jungkook and that guy to understand that there was some conflict and that probably if he in this match would show some weakness then there were some people who would be happy about that and that's why it seemed even more logical for Jungkook to want to keep the truth of his real physical condition to himself.

Maybe it was because he had opponents trying so hard to take him down, that was one of the reasons he did his best always to look fit. Or it could just be the fact that people who cared about his good and others who would rejoice in his downfall were a stimulus thought in his mind and just added on his back, the weight of responsibility and a need to win.

Amidst the chaos and passing seconds, the time came for the match to start and SoYi noticed that Jungkook would not be sitting on the bench after all, but would be playing from the first half. And at that moment she realized that he had ignored his brother's words, for Jimin had told him to at least play only one half of the match.

It wasn't as if she could change his mind at that moment so all she did was wish that he could end this game as he started it. On his own two feet, standing.

The players took their places and before the referee blew the whistle, SoYi's eyes happened to take notice of a girl sitting on the bench on the side of Jungkook's team as the said girl called his name and encouraged him to take the upper hand in this game. Jungkook's eyes revealed a more intense look after her voice echoed and for some reason, SoYi couldn't help but think that that girl had some significance to him.

To her surprise, the game started positively and Jungkook's movements seemed relaxed but correct. The ball was moving at a fast and steady pace and it didn't take long for his team to score the first points of the game. Although he wasn't the one who made the basket. SoYi thought at that moment that Jungkook could have decided to play less aggressively himself and give the light to the other players, for whom he would do anything to get them to that basket and as the minutes ticked by, that thought of hers got reinforced. Jungkook was indeed not playing the role of an ace but was playing the role of a supporter who by now had gotten them to the halfway point of the game with a good score and a two-point lead in their favour.

She didn't even realize when the referee's whistle had sounded again bringing the first half to an end as her mind was immersed in Jungkook's every move and every thought that was generated every time she saw his muscles tensing because she could just imagine as if she was seeing them in front of her eyes, without the covering of his skin, the amount of pain he would be in and the pressure his body must have been under during all those minutes when the rest of the people in that stadium were flooded with feelings of adrenaline, joy and anticipation. Jungkook must have been the only one desperate for that whistle to be heard and have the gift of being given a moment's pause.

And the truth was that these thoughts of SoYi were true and although he had never imagined that he would feel this way while playing his favourite sport, he was waiting like nothing else for this match to end before he was to collapse. How was he still standing was something even he didn't know how to answer. How he was holding on and how he had managed to play so far while his mind wasn't even thinking about his movements was a mystery to him. For the pain had taken over his mind during the game more than he could imagine.

As soon as Jungkook reached the bench and sat down, he quickly turned around and let his white towel fall on his head so that his face could be hidden and the expressions of pain he left on the surface could be covered. His ears tried to pay attention to his coach's words even though he couldn't turn his head for a moment and face any of his players.

"Jungkook, you're going on the offensive. Let's finish this match." His coach's words echoed in his ears and although he knew this moment would come, he unfortunately couldn't rejoice.

Yes, the game was going well for his team but he knew that so far he hadn't left much of an impression and he knew that as an ace, it was his job to put on a good show in this friendly match to get his name out of other people's mouths and his reputation to reach the ears of opponents he would meet in the league.

It would be good if his team were to enter stadiums, considered a team to be feared rather than a team they are simply wasting their time playing against.

"Jungkook did you hear me?" His coach brought his attention to him since Jungkook hadn't said a word back and Jungkook looked up and gave his coach a determined look.

No matter how much it hurt until his body would no longer obey him, he had made up his mind. This day he would not let it go any other way but the way it was supposed to go. The way he had expected, and imagined it to go.

---change of set---

Hoseok had found himself in a hotel, having a coffee with some associates who had called him over at the lounge of the prestigious hotel to talk over some business discussions.

Conversations that he had paid close attention to until he withdrew from the table to take a moment to go to the bathroom, which he visited as a way of escaping.

It wasn't that he was tired of the conversation but it was the fact that RiuMee was there, next to her father and with the situation the two were in, the truth was that it was hard for him to be in her presence but it was also hard for him to avoid her.

He dried his hands which he had washed a moment before and let a sigh escape his lips in an attempt to collect himself and head back to the table which his associates had booked.

He walked through the halls calm in appearance and without a word, his mind in a conflict as he had to be professional and at the same time look her in the eye and talk to her without appearing hurt over anything. 

Sometimes, I wish I could become invisible.

He thought to himself as he rounded the corner and entered the main room, only to be left surprised as immediately a familiar figure caught his attention, seated at a table to the left, accompanied by a young-looking man.

She had her back to him, but there was no way he could not recognize her, as she was also wearing her uniform.

Eleon? On a date?

Hoseok wondered as it seemed odd that someone like her would be on a date with anyone but then he took a moment and gave it a second thought, only to conclude that there was nothing wrong with that, if that truly was the case. 

---To be continued...