Chapter 45 Part 1

After returning to school, Gu Chenyue still couldn’t keep a low profile because he and Zheng Wantong had become the center of attention in the entire school.

It was as if they were a couple, even though they hadn’t admitted to being in a relationship. They acted like lovebirds and were walking sugar machines.

Moreover, everyone quickly noticed that although Gu Chenyue still didn’t like to interact with people, his temper had improved. Even if someone offended him, he wouldn’t resort to physical violence anymore. He also accompanied Zheng Wantong to the library every day, no longer sporting his old grumpy expression.

It was said that several entertainment companies had intercepted Gu Chenyue at the school gate, hoping to sign him as a celebrity, but all were rejected.

Journalists had also approached Wan Tong several times, wanting to interview her about the relationship between Lin Zhiwen and Gu Chenyue, but of course, she couldn’t agree.

She just wanted this whole thing to be over with, so her life could return to normal. What should she do if it alarmed her parents….

On Saturday, Wan Tong went to the city library again, and Gu Chenyue accompanied her. But in the blink of an eye, he disappeared.

Gu Chenyue was sitting slightly restrained opposite a middle-aged man in a nearby café, calling out, “Uncle Zheng.”

Father Zheng scrutinizing gaze fell on him, and his tone was cordial, “Xiao Gu, right? We’ve met before.”

Gu Chenyue nodded.

Father Zheng pondered for a moment before speaking up, “Although it may be offensive, I am truly worried about my daughter, so I asked some students to help me check your background.”

Gu Chenyue’s lips twitched, and he looked at him directly, “What does Uncle want to say?”

“I’ve seen so many kids, but I’ve never seen anyone like you. Although I don’t agree with some of your methods, I know that it’s the only way of life for you. To be honest, I even admire you a bit. You’re brave and you have ideas.”

A child who has been struggling since middle school to pay for his mother’s medical expenses, and who was still targeted for revenge even after her death, couldn’t possibly survive without a strong enough mind.

Looking at that composed and steady face now, he really didn’t feel that Gu Chenyue was just an 18-year-old boy.

Gu Chenyue didn’t speak, and his gaze met with Father Zheng’s complex eyes.

Then he heard Father Zheng speak again, “Tongtong has become more lively recently, but she still acts recklessly. You have been protecting her during this time, and I am grateful for that. However, as a father, I cannot bear to see Tongtong being dragged into such a complicated life. Can you understand that, Xiao Gu?”

Gu Chenyue knew that this day would come, but hearing Father Zheng speak the words out loud still made him feel like he had been stabbed in the back.

He had no fixed place to stay and was still at risk of retaliation from Chen Jun. He didn’t deserve to have a peaceful and stable life.

“I understand,” Gu Chenyue forced out the words from his throat.

Father Zheng nodded and took a bitter sip of his coffee. Then he heard the low but firm voice of the young man in front of him, “I will come out of this mud pit.”

He looked up in surprise and saw Gu Chenyue standing up, his black eyes calmly fixed on him as he said, “Will Uncle Zheng still allow me to pursue her?”