Chapter Eighty-eight 88

Zaynab was sitting at the corridor while Khalid was speaking to the troops of police officers who were patrolling and navigating the criminals because Firdausi has been missing for two weeks and no news from her kidnappers.

"What will happen now?" She said then went upstairs to her room and plopped down on the bed. She couldn't eat well or look after herself because her both daughters were in trouble.

"You have to stay strong for them", said Momsy who began to make soothing circles on her back.

"Am I a bad person?"

"No Zaynab you're a virtuous woman".

"Why is all afflictions upon my family and I. My first daughter is in jail and there's no sign of success in her case while the youngest is missing.

I wished I went to her graduation or something".

"You don't have to keep on regretting because no one can escape their fate. All they need is prayers and believe that this is a test from Allah".

She placed her face on her palms and kept sobbing.

                              **
Islam was adapting to the new environment and was unusual. She couldn't believe she was a convict in Kaduna penitentiary.

Her case was still going on but the plaintiff only gave her the grace of one month to prove herself or receive their final decision.

The disgusting flies, tasteless food and dirty place was making her feel nauseated and uncomfortable. Even the ill-mannered and mischievous people were annoying.

She sat on her bed; a very narrow and hard bed meditating and praying for Firdausi's safety.

"Hey you you have a visitor?" Said the female warder pointing her then she shuffled out of the place to the waiting room where she saw the man in tuxedo but his back view then knew it was Ali.

"Salamualaikum", he said.

She didn't answered but smirked then sat opposite him. "What are you doing here?"

"Islam you know better. I'm here for you, you have to introduce me to your lawyer because I want to help".

"No don't help, my lawyer's doing a great job don't worry".

"Look at you, so unlike you. If you don't let me help you, how will you get to find your sister?"

"What has happened to Firdausi?"

"There is no signs of her and the last time I met Mr Khalid he's tempted and Mrs Zaynab......"

"What happened to mama?"

"She's also tempted", he shrugged his shoulder.

"Barr. Zubayda, I'll talk to her..."

"Time over", said the warder then left with her.

                             **

It was time to have lunch, the prisoners queued up and held their bowls for food.

Islam gave her bowl then the food seller poured a morsel of the rice.

"Can I have more?" She whined.

"No, as you can see there are plenty people waiting for food so get lost", said the seller then she left and sat alone forcing herself to eat the tasteless food just to survive.

Just then some prisoners started to fight each other because the other one was trying to get into the first row while others were waiting.

She started to feel nauseous then ran to the stuffy and dirty toilet and threw up.