Chapter four 4

Firdausi was all alone at home with a few servants to look after her. She felt very bored because her parents hadn't come back from work. She reclined on the sofa in the living room, surrounded by her textbooks and notebooks. She kept glancing at the front door, hoping to see her parents return. Why were her workaholic parents neglecting them and using work as an excuse? She had these unanswered questions in her mind.

Suddenly, her belly rumbled with hunger, even though she had already had lunch. Instead of being idle and listening to the sound of the heavy rain, she decided to keep herself busy by making French toast. She walked to the kitchen and started preparing it for herself, knowing that the rain might delay her parents' return.

The recipe was simple. She opened the refrigerator, but all she found was mayonnaise. She turned around in disappointment and sat down to wait for the French toast, which was still cooking.

"Drr drr." Her phone rang, and she picked it up with excitement, hoping it was someone else. But her enthusiasm turned into disappointment when she saw "Bestie" written on the screen. It was unusual and frantic for her to expect someone like Charles. They had never exchanged phone numbers. Maybe it was because she couldn't get him off her mind after the incident.

She knew her feelings towards him could never be, so she had to let go for better or worse.

"Hello, Afra," Firdausi greeted.

"Hello, I called to apologize for the way I spoke to you the other time," Afra said.

"It's okay, no problem. Let bygones be bygones," Firdausi forgave.

"How's the rain in your area?" Afra asked.

"It's raining quite heavily. I feel bored because Mama and Abba are yet to come back," Firdausi replied.

"Don't worry, girl. They will be back soon," Afra tried to pacify her.

The girls had a long, everlasting conversation before the house filled with the smell of burnt bread and eggs.

Firdausi rushed to the kitchen and turned off the cooker, coughing persistently from the smoke that filled the air.

The servant rushed in and opened the windows, which had been closed due to the rain.

Firdausi felt distressed looking at her burnt French toast. She had worked hard on it, but this was her reward.

She finally grabbed some fruits and consumed them while still waiting for her parents, who were refusing to step into the house.

****
Khadija turned her back and found Michelle and Islam standing with sympathetic expressions. Islam's face showed a mix of emotions.

She faced Sadia, who struggled to speak, making it hard for Khadija to understand. It was complicated.

"What's wrong, doctor?" Khadija asked, but the doctor ignored her, focused on the checkups and examinations of the helpless patient.

Sadia's body started to jerk, and the monitor beeped irregularly.

"What's wrong with her, doctor?" Khadija asked in shock. "Sadia!" she called out, but it was in vain as Sadia had fallen unconscious.

The doctor instructed Khadija to leave immediately and join her friends, but she became frantic, demanding updates on her sister's condition.

The nurses arrived later and dragged her away.

Khadija cried loudly, her voice husky, and collapsed to the floor. Michelle held her hands and comforted her. Islam felt a comprehensive mix of tension, fear, anxiety, and guilt for her actions.