Part 2: Chapter 13

"Should I go get Mama for you?" Tessie asked as she gently laid Islam on the bed, relieved to see her regaining consciousness.

"No, I'm fine," Islam replied, wiping away her tears.

"I overheard you mention something about a tumor," Tessie cautiously brought up the topic.

"Please, just forget I said that. Taslim, please," Islam pleaded, her voice filled with desperation.

"But is it true? What you said," Tessie pressed, wanting to understand.

Islam simply nodded, her restlessness evident as she sat on the bed, feeling as though her heart was in her mouth, overwhelmed and lifeless.

The thought of Zaynab refusing treatment was driving her to the brink of losing her sanity, causing the room to spin once again, threatening to make her black out.

"Are you sure you don't want her to know? I brought pizza as an apology, but you don't seem to be in the mood," Tessie remarked, trying to lighten the heavy atmosphere.

Islam asked somberly, "Do you think getting married is the right thing to do?"

"Now you're changing your mind? How can you, when it's just about two weeks away? In fact, I came here to ask you about the color scheme for the bridal rrshower because I've already taken care of all the decorations," Tessie responded, a hint of frustration in her0.

"Then I need to postpone it," Islam declared, reaching for her phone, but w quickly snatched it away.

"Are you crazy? Don't tell me you're going to ask him to postpone the wedding. You can't be serious," Tessie scolded, her tone filled with disbelief.

"What do you expect me to do when my mother is sick and I'm about to leave? I can't let my family fall apart again. I'll gather the pieces and fix everything myself, without needing a man," Islam expressed her thoughts aloud.

"Just tell me you no longer like Usman. Give me your phone," Tessie insisted.

"What are you searching for?" Islam asked, feeling hesitant.

"Do you trust me?" Tessie asked, and Islam slowly nodded. "Then give it to me."

Islam handed over her phone as Tessie dialed Usman's number, requesting him to meet them at Malali Park when he had some free time. Despite being busy, Usman promised to come.

"Now, chillax. Go take a shower, and then we can enjoy the pizza before you go pick up Yasin. After that, we'll sort everything out," Tessie advised with wisdom, and Islam nodded in agreement.

"Now, wear a smile, amarya," Tessie said, widening her index finger and thumb apart and placing it under her chin. Islam managed to smile and quickly pulled Tessie into a hug.

"Thanks for being there for me," Islam expressed her gratitude amidst the embrace.

"What are friends for?" Tessie replied, emphasizing the importance of their friendship.

                                **

The day was so busy for Firdausi, but there was a silver lining because she finally got paid her wage.  Habib completed the payment for the house in Gwagwalada, Abuja! It's located in a peaceful area, with three bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and even a cute little garden. It's like a dream come true for any simple girl like her!

She couldn't help but smile at the thought of moving in with Habib. Even though they're not married yet, he played a major role in buying the house. He handled all the negotiations, and she just had to pay the money.