Chapter eight 8

Islam and Zaynab went to the supermarket to buy food and other items for the women's club. Islam wore a pinafore dress with a scarf, which made her look shorter, while Zaynab was in an Ankara gown and a big scarf that covered her. She was also wearing medicated golden glasses.

As they walked through the aisles, they tossed items into the basket. Zaynab offered to pay for anything Islam wanted, pulling out her credit card. She looked young and stylish.

Suddenly, Kamila (Maman Afra) passed by with Mardiyya, Afra's older sister. Kamila hugged Islam, while Zaynab gave Mardiyya a peck on the cheek, leaving a red mark.

"Salamualaikum, how are you doing?" asked Kamila.

"Fine, aunty," replied Islam.

"Our kids are growing up, aren't they?"

"Yes."

Mardiyya smiled and briefly snuggled Islam. She was dressed in a tomboyish style, wearing a hoodie and trousers.

"We better go, it'll be dinner time soon," said Kamila as they walked away.

"Buy whatever you want. I'll be waiting for you at the nearby gas station, love," said Zaynab, pecking Islam's cheeks. But Islam didn't show any interest.

After taking the items to the counter and leaving, Islam started strolling through the aisles, looking for something to buy. She felt like treating herself.

Suddenly, she spotted a pair of black roller skates hanging on a shelf in the distance. They looked amazing, and she imagined herself wearing them in her room and having fun. It wasn't the best reason, but she wanted them.

Nonchalantly, she walked towards the shelf to grab them but couldn't reach. She wasn't wearing high heels, just flat boots that showed her true height. She tried, struggled, and jumped, but couldn't get them. Unlike before, she couldn't ask Firdausi for help because she was taller. She had to do it herself.

Suddenly, someone behind her swiftly took the skates. It was a person with a broader and larger build, standing close enough to feel their breath on her cheeks, but not invading her personal space.

She was happy that a good Samaritan came to her aid, but to her surprise, the person started walking away.

She ran towards them, blocking their way, and extended her hands, saying, "Give those to me."

"What?" He said, looking perplexed.

"Give me those shoes. I was about to pick them."

"Really? But I didn't realize that."

"No, stop pretending. Just admit that you were helping me get the shoes."

"Wait, is it my fault you didn't grow tall and there are other colors? Why won't you choose from there and give me these ones? Can't you see this shoe is not for a lady and what will you do with it?"

"What I'll do is none of your business," she said, then tried to take it, but he raised his hands above his head, making it difficult for her.

"I'll do anything for you, but I'm sorry I can't give this to you."

"Anything?"

"Yes."

"Okay, let me wear it for the meantime while you buy me a drink if you want me to let you go."

"Women, Kai," he muttered under his breath while she wore the shoe and began roller skating. He bought her coffee in a big paper cup as they walked out of the supermarket.

She skated to the pavement, spun, and finally gave him the shoes. "You owe me a lot."

She walked away to the Bugatti parked at the gas station then opened the door and got in. Her mom was still in the car waiting.