Chapter forty~one 41

She effortlessly blinked her fragile eyes, causing pain throughout her body and numbing her. An angelic face appeared in front of her, with a beautiful smile and flowing, well-groomed hair.

She peered at the lady before muttering under her breath, "Ava."

"How do you feel? The doctors said you were given anesthesia, so you shouldn't feel any pain," said Ava, grinning as if it were good news.

"What happened?" she asked, looking around the serene, white hospital room.

"You were hit by a car, and we don't know the person's identity. You've been in a coma for five days," explained Ava, gently caressing her cheeks as if wiping away a smudge.

The memory of Sadia's death flashed through her mind, causing her pain. She closed her eyes to push it away. Then Lahab's memory came back, followed by the recent one, bringing thoughts of Usman.

"Where's Usman?" she asked softly and eagerly, awaiting the answer.

"Oh, that tall, handsome, dark man. He's been hanging around, but he recently left to get some rest. He's acting like you're his other half," said Ava, with a hint of mockery in her voice, while Islam smiled.

Just then, she began folding the calico blankets and arranging them in a carrier bag. Islam quickly remembered her stepmother.

"I'm going to get going, but Usman will be back soon. Take care of yourself, and I'll bring food too," she said dramatically before leaving, leaving her burdened with boredom.

A lady in white scrubs entered the room, and she seemed to be the nurse. But what stood out about her was her genuine kindness and compassion. She asked how she was feeling and if there was anything she needed, showing a level of care that is truly heartwarming. It's so refreshing to encounter someone in the medical field who is not only professional but also treats patients with such warmth and respect. And she must say, the birthmark on her chin adds to her unique beauty. It's amazing how everyone has their own special qualities that make them who they are.

                         **

As she blinked her eyes for the second time, a surge of pain washed over her. But that pain quickly turned into relief as she laid eyes on the tall, handsome young man standing before her, holding a bouquet of real flowers. His grin warmed her heart.

"Are you okay?" he asked, handing her the flowers. She took a deep breath, enjoying the sweet scent of the blooms. It was a comforting reminder that she was in the presence of something real and beautiful.

She smiled and nodded in response, and he let out a sigh of relief, his face filled with doubt. He had always been the type to worry.

"Don't worry for no reason, I'm perfectly fine," she assured him, playfully pouting her lips.

"Yeah, I can see that. But why did you have to risk your life?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

"Didn't you see her? Mrs. Huda? I know she's behind all of this," Islam accused, holding firmly to her belief.

"Mrs. Huda is actually a kind-hearted woman. She even helped me with my architecture project," he defended, his voice filled with sincerity.

"She's just not a good person, Usman," she insisted, her smile turning wry.

He paused for a moment, then gently urged her to rest. "You shouldn't talk too much. Just focus on resting," he said before leaving the room. She closed her eyes, feeling a spark of pain in her chest.

                              **

As the curtains were pulled open, the bright and relentless sun beamed its rays, dazzling her fragile eyes. She winced and instinctively covered her face with her hands.

"Sleeping beauty," a voice called out, its domineering demeanor bringing back a familiar feeling. She looked at the lady who had entered the room.

The lady was dressed in a lavish black maxi gown, and her golden purse added a touch of extravagance to her fashion sense.

"What are you doing in my room?" Islam asked, her voice slightly raised.

"Just checking on my daughter," the lady replied, sitting next to her and giving her a quizzical look.

"I know you did it, so just shut up and get out!" Islam interjected, causing a surge of pain in her chest.

"Hush," Huda said, placing her index finger vertically on her lips as a sign for Islam to keep quiet. "I'm here to check on you because I care about you."

"Can you even hear yourself? Can you please leave me alone?" Islam pleaded, her voice filled with pain.

"If I go, then I don't think you'll know where your dad is right now," Huda said, grabbing her purse and preparing to leave.

"Where's my dad?" Islam asked, but Huda had already departed. Islam clutched her head in pain. It was all too much for her. She was tired of everything but determined to resist temptation.

She looked at the bouquet lying on the bedside table and eventually flashed a smile. She picked up one of the flowers, smelling its delicate petals.

                         **

She walked with heavy footsteps into the shabby house she called home after Usman dropped her off in his car.

The house had undergone noticeable changes during the week she was away. It was dusty and untidy, which made her feel irritated.

Ava offered to clean the house, but she declined, wanting to be independent and take care of things herself.

She placed the medication she was given on the table before lying down on the pink couch, contemplating the ups and downs of life.

Dave stopped by from Bright Beginnings with a pack of cards made by her students, even though their handwriting was a bit messy. It was lovely and brought back nostalgic feelings. It made her feel like a surrogate mother to them, each with their own unique stories.

He stayed for about ten minutes to keep her company before leaving when Sira arrived. Sira was wearing an Ankara wrapper around her waist, a black T-shirt that accentuated her figure, and a wig knotted on top of her head.

"Thank God you're feeling better because I don't know what I would do without you, my friend," Sira said as she sat on the couch, with Islam folding her legs to make room.

"Alhamdulillah," Islam replied from the bottom of her heart, truly meaning it.

"I'm making Eba with Egusi soup, and I don't know if you'd like some?" Sira offered.

"I'm fine, but I am hungry," Islam responded, restlessly lying on the couch and gazing at the dusty plastic flowers.

"Do you need me to clean the house?" Asked Sira who was thoughtful about the changes and at the same time, helpful.

"No, I'm good," she declined as she departed. However, she reluctantly stood up to clean the house because she knew Usman would be visiting soon.

Just then, her Nokia rang loudly, and Michelle's name appeared on the screen. She quickly answered the call.

"Hello".

Short and simple
Stay tuned