Chapter fourteen 14

Islam

"Everything in life has a reason, if I had died that day then it would have been peaceful. Even if life and death is painful.

I'll choose the one I don't have to see people I know and ones I've hurt because it kills me intimately".

Mama knows...

Islam peered into the room, which glowed as bright as an angel, an angel of death. That was the first thought that crossed her mind. She knew death was painful, but she was prepared to face it and endure the pain, knowing it wouldn't last long. Life, on the other hand, seemed cruel, with bad luck lurking every day.

The strong scent of fruits filled her nostrils, making it hard to breathe, a reminder that she was still alive.

A stern lady sat in front of her, her gaze fixed upon Islam. Her look was piercing, almost deadly, yet she possessed a beauty that was angelic.

"Mama," Islam whispered softly, as if she were about to die in that very moment.

"Have you finally woken up?" Zaynab asked, pacing back and forth in her Ankara suit and scarf. Her earrings dangled out of her scarf, slightly askew. Zaynab always made sure to dress nicely, whether in times of happiness or trials. She believed in looking presentable.

Islam tried to adjust herself, but pain radiated throughout her body. Every inch was filled with agony and distress. It was then that she realized she was lying in a hospital bed, having been in a coma for the past three days.

"I feel pain everywhere," Islam uttered.

"You hit your head and had a dislocation," Zaynab explained.

"What about Lahab?" Islam asked, her voice filled with shock.

"He's dead," Zaynab replied.

"Oh, Allah," Islam exclaimed, taken aback.

"Why are you shocked when you were the one who killed him?"

"Mama, he almost got us killed, and then he died," Islam retorted.

"You are the reason everything happened, Islam. History is repeating itself. You just fall in love with men who don't respect you. You fall in love with traitors."

She cried, "Mama, aren't you supposed to be saying Alhamdulillah because I survived?"

"After you killed Sadia."

"What?"

"But never mind, I got that one too covered. Did you know that Lahab or whatever you call him was recording everything, and if Firdausi hadn't called, I wouldn't have arrived early to cover up."

"What did you do?"

"I got rid of his phone and made it look like it also got burnt in the car."

"Fire."

"Yes, if Usman wasn't present, then you'd have been with Lahab in hell."

"Why are you talking like this, Mama?"

"What do you expect me to do after my daughter killed my friend's daughter?" she said and cried lightly.

"I'm sorry, Ma..."

"You should be sorry for yourself, you imbecile," she said angrily, then dashed out of the room.

She began to cry like a little child, like when she knew she wasn't going to find her dad. She was only ten then. One morning, she picked up her backpack in search of her dad on her bicycle. She knew he was in Lagos but didn't know where exactly.