Part 2: Chapter 1

Five Years Later

~~In her thirties 💔😎~~

In my thirties, I'll make every second count, wear hats, sunglasses, chunky shoes, laugh until I cry, watch myself in the mirror all day, and dance in the pouring rain. I'll love a lot and love a little, be deep and shallow, and dance on the edge of time. It doesn't matter if there's a juxtaposition between two brothers and my fragile heart; I'll fall in love with them and be a little careful. For my thirties are my selfish and selfless years where I am in between my youth age.

~Islam S.~

The moon was shining bright. The night was gray, filled with sparkling stars, and not only was the night magical, but so was Islam herself. She felt like she was five again, small, innocent, and carefree. She couldn't understand why, out of all the years, she was transported back to being five. The age of five held a special and mysterious feeling that she couldn't quite grasp because she was still young.

She was dressed in a floral sundress with tiny prints, a denim jacket, and sneakers, as she playfully chased after someone or something, like a butterfly.

"Take your time, little miss, or you might stumble," a voice that sounded like his called out. Then, there he was, wearing a gingham t-shirt and trousers, looking youthful and handsome once more.

"Yes, I am," she replied as Zaynab laid out the fleece blanket. Zaynab looked delicate, youthful, and full of joy in the maxi gown she was wearing.

Soon, there was an array of food - tortillas, yogurt, suya, freshly baked muffins, watermelon, and everything she could desire.

"Did you know that the stars are much larger than the Earth and grains of sand?" Saleh pointed out, using his unique way to teach her about nature.

**

She eventually woke up to face reality, which wasn't a bed of roses or an island of pearls. She couldn't help but glance around the office, a cozy and inviting space with bookshelves lining the walls filled with literary classics and contemporary works. She sat at the large desk with a comfortable chair, the centerpiece adorned with a few personal touches like motivational quotes and literary wisdom.

At the other end, a bulletin board was filled with notes and reminders. Natural light streamed in through the windows, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It was a reflection of her love for literature, a place where creativity and productivity thrived.

She didn't know it, but she somehow always felt it deep down. The picnics at parks with her parents back in the day in Yola. She quickly realized it wasn't a dream but a recollection of her memories from her younger days. She often had dreams like that, showing glimpses of her past lives before her father's Alzheimer's diagnosis. She learned the hard way that he used to call her little miss or cupcake.

Nightmare! That's what she called the dream that haunted her present life, leaving her mind puzzled.

Just then, her PA walked in, professionally clad in a long, flowy skirt paired with a cardigan and a tucked-in blouse. She wasn't wearing a long hijab, but she looked very decent. Her hands were burdened with a box of cinnamon rolls, and she remembered asking her to get them.

"Thanks, Nadine," she mentioned as Nadia dropped the box on the table. She always preferred calling her Nadine instead of Nadia for its uniqueness.

"You're welcome," replied Nadia with a cordial smile. She had a deep interest in the literary world. After graduating from Nile University in Abuja, she joined Islam's publishing company - Latte Books. The name was inspired by the sweet aroma of frothed milk and espresso intertwined with books and articles. The company was quite large and located in Kaduna.