Chapter thirty~one 31

Don't trust everything you see
Even salt looks
like sugar
           ~your Tango

Zaynab was frying some turkey she bought for Goggo in the kitchen. She was wearing a silky peignoir for comfort as it grew dusky.

Goggo, once again unable to resist, read some newspapers while enjoying the delicious aroma of the turkey. Meanwhile, Firdausi headed upstairs to take a nap after the tiring ride.

"Leave me alone!" shouted someone outside, then quickly opened the big door. She was dressed in a pink floral gown, with her glasses perched on her scarf.

"Lafiya, how can you just barge into our house?" Zaynab said, her anger evident.

"Don't you remember me?" asked the familiar lady, who had intruded into the living room and settled with her legs crossed. She placed her glasses on the rectangular table next to a vase of flowers made from exclusive fabric. "I am Yasmeen, Yasmeen Ghali, Zayyad Ghali's sister."

"You're what? And what the heck are you doing in my house?" Zaynab asked, her anger growing.

"Get out!" Goggo ordered, even more furious and irritated.

"Well, you'll miss this news if you throw me out of the house," she said softly, with a hint of mockery.

"You family of murderers," said Zaynab, losing her temper and confronting her without respect.

"Hey! Don't you dare call my family killers. Your daughter is a betrayer," she defended in spite of her.

"How dare you talk about my daughter that way, you..."

"No, you'll hate her after seeing these pictures," Yasmeen said, offering Zaynab a brown envelope.

Curious, Zaynab asked, "What's inside?"

"See for yourself," Yasmeen replied brusquely, opening the envelope. Zaynab was taken aback by what she saw and struggled to express her anger.

"Your daughter has been playing the role of the good girl, but she's actually a devil in disguise," Yasmeen hurtfully revealed.

Disgusted, Zaynab closed her eyes and shouted, "Get out of my house!"

Yasmeen responded dramatically, "I'm leaving," then walked towards the door where Goggo stood in shock. She whispered, "Looks like Mrs. Sameera won't be able to let Islam spend the night at her house."

Nobody dared to call Goggo by her real name, as she was a respected woman – Mama to her kids, Madam to her workers, and Goggo to her grandchildren. Yasmeen's disrespectful behavior was unacceptable.

Zaynab, still fuming, rushed to turn off the cooker as the smell of burnt turkey filled the air.

                           **

The bright, dazzling light made Islam squint at the blinds, and she saw the graceful old lady blocking the sun rays.

"Good morning, pretty," the elderly woman greeted, realizing she had slept on the couch and her neck hurt.

"Where's Ali?" Islam asked.

"He's out for work, as usual," the maid replied. "Are you hungry?"

"I feel like I'll die if I don't eat," Islam exclaimed wearily. She was served akara, sliced bread, and millet pap, which satisfied her hunger. She was grateful to the lady for treating her like a princess.

After breakfast, Islam checked her watch and saw that it was already past nine. She was very late for school, but her family mattered more to her.

She hurriedly left for the Hadeja's mansion, feeling apologetic and remorseful. The kekenapep dropped her off at the gate, and she paid the fee before knocking on the gate, still wearing her dress from the night before.