Chapter Nine 9

"Doctor, where is my sister?" Khadija's voice trembled with a mix of fear and desperation as she entered the office. The doctor led them to a room, a room that held the unbearable truth.

Khadija's heart pounded in her chest as she approached the bed, her steps heavy with uncertainty. With trembling hands, she slowly uncovered the white garment that concealed her sister's face. As the fabric fell away, Khadija's eyes met a sight that would forever haunt her. There lay a girl, a mere shell of her vibrant and beautiful sister Sadia. The differences were stark, as if life itself had been drained from her. Sadia, with her radiant smile and eyes that sparkled like stars, now replaced by a lifeless form with chapped bluish lips and a coldness that seeped into Khadija's very bones.

She reached out, her fingers trembling, and placed her hand on her sister's cheek, desperately seeking warmth that would never return. "She's not my sister," Khadija whispered, her voice choked with disbelief and sorrow.

She looked at her brothers, their tear-filled eyes betraying the pain they too felt, yet struggled to express. The weight of their collective grief hung heavy in the room.

Overwhelmed by her emotions, Khadija collapsed onto the floor, her tears flowing uncontrollably. In that moment of despair, Michelle, rushed to her side, wrapping her arms around her in a comforting embrace. Together, they mourned the loss of Sadia, finding solace in each other's presence.

Islam, consumed by guilt, stood behind them, tears streaming down her face. She blamed herself, feeling responsible for the tragedy that had befallen their beloved sister.

"Pele, pele" (sorry in Yoruba language), Michelle whispered, her voice filled with empathy and compassion, as she gently rubbed Khadija's back. The pain was raw, the grief overwhelming, but in the midst of it all, they clung to each other, finding strength in their shared sorrow.

And as Khadija wept, Raqiya sat beside her, offering words of comfort and reminding her to find solace in the embrace of Allah, to trust in His plan even when it felt unbearably difficult.

"Aunty, I wish I had never stopped Sadia from going to study abroad. I thought she would be far away from me and maybe even forget the bond we share. But now... she's so far away, and she'll never come back," Khadija said, her voice choked with tears. Raqiya snuggled her close, offering comfort and reminding her that these trials are from Allah.

*
Khadija climbed the stairs without uttering a single word to her family. They watched her with skepticism as she made her way to the empty room. Opening the door, she peered into the darkness before flipping the light switch. The room, meticulously arranged, held memories of Sadia - the sprawling king-sized bed, the paintings she created during her leisure time. Khadija approached the nearby rocking chair and let herself reminisce about the past. She remembered how Sadia would find solace in that chair when she was upset with everyone. "Even if you don't want to talk to anyone else, at least talk to me, dear," Khadija would whisper, longing for her sister's presence.

Next to the stunningly realistic crescent painting that resembled a picturesque scene, Sadia exclaimed, "Adda, I made this painting to symbolize our bond. We'll stay here, and it'll be called Khadia's Crescent."

"Wow, I hope you're planning everything," Khadija replied, intrigued by the name.

"Of course! We'll live here happily ever after," Sadia said, holding Khadija's hands with excitement. They grinned at each other and embraced tightly.

**FLASHBACK** (Two weeks ago)
On a rainy Monday morning, Khadija was in the living room, preparing for her next court case and browsing the internet. Suddenly, Sadia interrupted, exclaiming, "Adda, I love you so, so much!" She jumped onto Khadija and cuddled her. "I made strawberry smoothie for you."