Chapter forty~six 46

And there will be a day whe

a person would choose you for your

flaws and see forever in your eyes

                         ~Prabhu M Nair

Death is sorrowful and unbearable. Islam thought to herself while sitting at the edge of the bed, nearly crouching. She nestled her face on her pale palms as a headache got the best of her, while the silver droplets fell from her eyes like an ocean. Tears couldn't subside the pain, not at all.

It's been six hours since the bad news was announced. Her dad passed away that morning and died in his sleep. She could feel the heaviness of his absence in the house. Her legs went numb, and she didn't know when she blacked out.

If tears could bring back lost ones, then her dad would have been back an hour ago. It was now memories and no more present. She endeavored the past days to make him remember her, but it went all in vain. She wished she spent more time with him and understood him instead of caring about the past alone.

When she heard the screams from Aunt Farida, she knew it right away but made herself believe it was nothing. The scream started like a meaningless thing but then turned out to loud gasps and sobs.

The family lawyer had already visited an hour ago, and there was nothing left. His real estate business got bankrupt, and all other businesses were mortgaged to the bank. It was just nothing. He left like he was never there. No souvenirs except the memories in her heart.

"Daddy why?" She asked while sobbing even though it was a big waste of time. She always thought he'd be there forever. Like all the time. He was always her hero but he is now gone.

"Sis, at least eat your food," lamented a voice before she realized Ayesha Humayra was cuddling her while nestling her head on her shoulder. They quickly entangled their hands while there was a deafening silence in the room.

After they sobered, they stood at the window gazing at the morning sunshine that streamed through the window and the luxuries down their place.

"I've always wanted to be his girl," stated Humayra blankly while she listened. "I was never enough for a daughter because I am not even his real daughter. It was always about you."

She rubbed her shoulder then began, "you spent some time with him. I didn't even get the chance to know him better, and he couldn't even remember me. All of this is pointless."

She embraced her tightly while they both cried on each other's shoulders, soaking it with tears, and it made them feel less heavy.

                              **

Huda was laying on the bed with her pillows soaked with tears while holding onto the bittersweet memories. To say she was sad was an understatement.

Saleh has always been the man of the house and the sweet husband until his diagnosis. Even though they were both busy with work, he always spent some time to make her feel companied. Though they fought sometimes.

Looking at the empty bed, she couldn't help but feel a surge of grief deep down and a void that could never be like before. Her eyes were already bulging, and her face looked haggard.

She couldn't endure it when Faisal arrived from the funeral in his black jalabiya. Women were not allowed to attend the burial. It was men only Islamically.

He solaced her and snuggled her for a while before leaving. The look on his face was empty and expressionless. Saleh was trying hard to be a good dad to him, but it was never enough. They always had father-son arguments that never end.