Chapter thirty~two 32

Islam crossed her legs, finding tranquility in the serene park with lush green grass and few people around. She sat next to Usman, who leisurely sipped his Kunun Aya through a blue straw. The atmosphere was lovely and romantic.

"So, what are you going to do?" asked Usman, eager to hear more about her adventure.

"I'm going to Lagos to search for my dad, whose second name I don't even know," she said.

"We'll search for your dad wherever he may be," he assured her.

"We?" she questioned.

"Yes, I'm coming with you, Islam. Remember, we're now one," he said, flashing a lovely smile at her.

"What about Laila?" Islam asked with concern and a hint of envy in her voice.

"Laila is fine. Don't worry about her. We're not together anymore," he reassured her.

"Okay, let's see what happens," she said, reclining on the bench and watching the children playing with water guns in the distance. She smiled, finding the children lovely and fascinating.

                         **

"Can you please focus, Ms. Hadeja? You lack incentive!" yelled Mrs. Renee, the new theater teacher who was fed up with Firdausi's lapses and lack of concentration.

Firdausi felt anxious, mixed with emotions, as she elbowed her way through the heavy brocade curtains. She had other things going on in her life, buzzing in her head like a mosquito. She wasn't sure if her portrayal of Olanna Ozobia was perfect because everything seemed to be taking a drastic turn.

Standing backstage, she watched the rest of the students getting dressed vibrantly for their respective roles in the play.

Mrs. Renee wasn't satisfied with their acting, so she introduced an improvisation that made them stay in school even though it was closing time.

There, she encountered Charles sitting on the stage with Fiona, discussing something related to the play. Charles was playing the role of Richard Churchill, the white man who fell in love with a black woman, while Bianca portrayed Kainene Ozobia. Mrs. Renee believed Bianca best fit the part because of her deadly look and mysterious expressions.

Fiona took advantage of the situation, resting her arms on Charles' shoulder and slightly sniffing his ear. They glanced at Firdausi as she walked away.

Firdausi herself was wearing a colorful dress with a vintage vibe, reminiscent of the sixties, to match her role.

She sat in the corridor, the sun reflecting on her and burning her skin, but she didn't care because the pain of losing her sister was hotter than the golden sun.

Just then, Fatima sat next to her, very close. Firdausi could feel her presence, as she was busty. Fatima offered her some wrapped bread with fillings, like shawarma, saying her mom made them.

"Sure," Firdausi said, not entirely sure of her own words. But when she took a bite, it tasted off, like raw food about to spoil. The mayonnaise was sour, not like Maman Mubarak's shawarma.

"How does it taste?" Fatima asked, seeking feedback.

"Delicious, it's yummy," Firdausi lied, feeling nauseous.

"Good, now Mubarak will stop bragging about his mom's shawarma," Fatima said, satisfied and ecstatic.

Firdausi wanted to confide in her, to tell her how life had turned upside down for her and her family. She wanted someone to understand her and why she lacked incentive, but it felt like she was only talking to herself.