Chapter Fifty 50

~~2 years later~~

Islam glanced up at the ceiling while her heart fluttered in her chest. She was waiting for her parents in the waiting room after praying Maghrib and Isha, while they received her final results. It felt like waiting for ages to know whether one's going to live or die. It was like a piece of her fate.

She started fidgeting with the hem of her cashmere sweater. The weather was frigid, and she couldn't bear it as she sat. She watched a group of happy families embracing one another, as if a piece of good news had come or someone had delivered a baby.

They were Blondies, while the little girl, who could be seven or eight, had brown hair. The man cuddling her in his arms was a blonde. Her mother should be a brunette. Islam admired the girl's freckles and how her receding hairline was tied into two plaits with a center parting, laying on her fragile shoulders. The pink silky ribbon used to knot her hair glistened under the room's light.

The man cuddling her shook the nurse who was congratulating him, while the middle-aged lady in a tanned tunic, who seemed to be his mother, hugged the nurse. Her curly hair streamed down to her arms. They were beautiful.

"My baby," called out the soothing voice in front of her as she set her eyes on them. Her heart began to palpitate as she waited for them to announce it.

Khalid wrapped his hands around her waist while their face remained blank, devoid of any expression.

"I knew it, I know my death is near," she said as the light disappeared from her ebony eyes. She sighed in disdain and was about to make her way somewhere only she knows.

"You made it!" shouted Zaynab, her voice filled with excitement.

"What?"

"Yes, you're free from it," added Khalid, pulling her into a long-lasting embrace while she held onto his tweed jacket tightly. He was taller, and she was petite as he wrapped his hands around her.

Then Zaynab snuggled her tightly once again. She was surprised because she wasn't much of a hugger. Zaynab kissed her cheeks and hands, showering her with affection.

This time, Khalid and Zaynab hugged her together, making her feel small in their eternal and lovely embrace. It must have been nice to have her parents around her in the UK.

They eventually drove back home in his Audi Q5. She reclined on the seat, taking in the beautiful view of the county. The tall buildings, the cool scent, and the weather. She loved the weather the most; it was frigid and comforting. The people were also nice and warm.

Eventually, they arrived at their house in the outskirts of Cambridgeshire. It was a big and ancient cottage, as old as the hills. The place was dark and scary, which is why she preferred staying with Aunt Bridget during school holidays. She always wondered why her parents preferred ancient houses, but Aunt Bridget said it was because they were old money.

She trudged upstairs to her meticulously arranged room. The bed was made with a "welcome back" text printed on the bedsheet. The walls were made of weathered stone, with intricate carvings and faded tapestries hanging from them. The room was dimly lit by flickering candlelight, casting shadows on the worn wooden floor. In the center of the room, there was a massive oak table with ornate carvings, surrounded by antique chairs. Dust-covered books lined the shelves, showcasing the knowledge of decades past. The air was filled with a sense of history and mystery, transporting her back in time.

She picked up one of the candles and placed it on the wooden drawer next to a tall mirror that made objects look slimmer. She contemplated herself in the mirror, her sweater was sagging and exposing her pale collarbone which has red spots from the side effects of cancer. Her denim trousers flared out, depicting how thin she looked and how small she had become.