Part 2: Chapter 7

Islam went through some write-ups for the magazine, feeling the weight of the never-ending weekdays. She adjusted her square-framed glasses just as Nadia dropped a cup of ice cappuccino, the mix of ice cubes, espresso, milk, and cinnamon popping up.

"Thanks, Nadine," Islam expressed, appreciating the gesture of the named cup of coffee.

"You're always welcomed, ma'am," Nadia replied casually, ready to leave, but then she mentioned, "Your sister would be visiting."

"Firdausi never visits," Islam responded, puzzled by the unexpected news.

"I mean Ayesha Humaira," Nadia clarified.

"Okay. Is everything alright?" Islam inquired, concerned about the sudden visit.

"I don't know, she said she'd be here in a jiffy," Nadia shared while organizing the books.

"Turn on the incense burner, this place should look perfect and scent nice before she arrives," Islam instructed, taking her cappuccino and walking out.

"Sure," Nadia agreed, following Islam's request diligently.

As Islam walked out to speak with the receptionist, Ayesha Humaira arrived, wearing baggy jeans with a blouse and Shayla, looking smart and resembling her mother. Islam noticed how much older Ayesha looked since their last meeting.

Ayesha rushed and embraced Islam tightly, causing her to gasp, "Let me breathe, please."

"Look at you, so dope and brideful," complimented Ayesha, pecking Islam's cheeks.

"No, you're the one looking amazing," Islam replied with a smile.

She led Ayesha to her office, where Nadia was almost done setting up. Islam drew the window blinds and placed lilacs in a vase on the center table, filling the room with the scent of strawberries and coconuts from the incense.

"I'm not staying long actually, I'm just delivering something important to you," Ayesha mentioned as they sat on the sofa.

"What is it? Nadine, get us two cups of coffee with cookies," Islam ordered as Nadia left.

"Uhmm, it's been a while, and I just thought about visiting. We relocated, and I found this CD in Dad's stuff," Ayesha explained, passing the CD in its case to Islam.

"What's in it?" Islam asked cluelessly.

"You should watch it; he loves you very much even after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I always tried my best to replace you in his heart, but it went in vain," Ayesha revealed.

"He never visited or asked for me," Islam lamented, holding back tears.

"No matter what happens, he loves you very much," Ayesha assured, hugging Islam before leaving.

"Won't you wait for a cup of coffee?" Islam asked, but Ayesha shook her head and left.

Islam took a look at the disc and played it on her laptop. It was a video he made after his Alzheimer's diagnosis, reminiscing about their past life together as a happy family. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she wiped them with a tissue.

"Here I am," Nadia said as she walked in with a tray of coffee and cookies, but she was astonished by Islam's tears. Dropping the tray, Nadia held Islam's shoulders, asking if she was alright.

"Yes, I am," Islam replied, turning off the laptop. "Come and sit while I tell you a story," she said, leading Nadia to the sofa where she had been with Ayesha earlier.

"There lived a girl who lived with her happy family in their little home. Everything was perfect - a perfect mom, perfect dad, a white kitten with soft fur, and good friends. Then her life took a turn when she went to her Aunt on a long holiday. It was the best for her as her parents always fought later at night. She hoped and prayed her life would become perfect again, but eventually, her parents divorced, remarried with a kid. She still got a perfect stepdad, but it wasn't the perfection she loved. She thrived and looked for her dad, whom she couldn't remember his second name, until she eventually found him when she was older.