Why him?

Modern AU
Assault
Blood
Nightmares

~~~~~~ No Ones POV ~~~~~~

Zhongli stood outside of Xiaos bedroom as he listened to Xiaos faint whimpers in his sleep with much worry, he decided to wait to see if Xiao would wake up from his dream before going in to comfort him. This has been happening for weeks now. It's getting to the point where Xiao can barely sleep or even take care of himself. He keeps having awful nightmares of that night.

~~~~~~ A Couple Weeks Ago ~~~~~~

Xiao and Aether were walking down the pathway in the park. It was late at night and the two had just finished dinner at a fancy restaurant that Xiao had taken Aether to. It was one of the best days ever. Aether looked at Xiao with a smile and was about to say something before he noticed 3 black figures walking towards them. They both stopped and Xiao stood in front of Aether as they approached.

One of them men pointed a gun at them and began to ask questions about things they've never heard of. They both looked at them confused and their confused faces seemed to piss off the man with the gun. "Pin them down." Said the one with the gun and the other two stared at him for a moment.

"Sir they don't look like the people we're looking-" He was cut off.

"Make the taller one (Xiao) talk and that wasn't a request." He said as he glared at them. Without a moment they began to try to fight them off. One man tried to grab Xiao but he pulled away from the guy and punched him as the other one came for him. Suddenly a gunshot was heard and Xiao fell to his knees in pain. Aether looked at Xiao who had been shot in his stomach but before he could reach him he was grabbed by one of the men and thrown to the ground. The man started to hit and kick Aether, hurting him badly, Xiao tried to get up and help him but was pushed back down to his knees by the other man.

"Talk." The one with the gun said again. "We don't know what your talking about! Please just let us go!" Xiao said as he watched his lover get beat by this stranger. He was still trying to get up but kept getting hit in the head by the man with the gun who was still trying to get information out of him that he didn't even had. After a while he finally realized that they had the wrong people. He told the other man who was still hitting Aether to stop and they left quickly.

Xiao crawled over to his unconscious lover who had blood all over him. Xiao cried as he held him in his arms.

~~~~~~ Present ~~~~~~

Aether was still alive but in a coma. Xiao blamed himself every second that he breathed behind of Aether condition. He was hurt badly and Xiao couldn't stop it. After the incident Zhongli noticed Xiaos behavior, not wanting to eat, not being able to sleep, dark circles under his eyes, a bad attitude or not speaking at all. It worried him a lot. He cared for Xiao and couldn't bare to see him like this.

After a while Zhongli heard a small gasp and heavy breathing, Xiao had woken up from his dream. He began to hyperventilate and cry but it was softly so he wouldn't wake anyone up, Xiao didn't want anyone to know that he was in so much pain, he didn't wanna seem weak. Zhongli quickly walked into the room and saw the tears streaming down his sons cheeks.

He sat on the bed with Xiao and looked at him who was trying to hide his tears and calm his breathing. Zhongli pulled Xiao into an embrace which Xiao just started sobbing uncontrollably. He couldn't take the pain of knowing Aether was hurt and it was his fault even though it wasn't, he couldn't help but blame himself.

"Shh.. It's ok. You're okay Xiao." Zhongli rubbed Xiaos back. Xiao didn't respond, he just kept crying on Zhonglis chest. Tears staining his fathers clothes. Zhongli pulled out a bottle of sleeping pills and gave him one. He made sure Xiao took the pill before continuing to comfort him. The pill worked almost immediately and Xiao was slowly calming down and drifting off to sleep in Zhonglis arms. His father stayed with him until he fell asleep, he lay him back down and covered him up.

He caressed his cheek and kissed his forehead before leaving to go to sleep too. He was just as exhausted as Xiao was, having to wake up to comfort him everytime but he choose to do that. For the sake of his sons mental health he doesn't mind loosing hours, days, weeks or years of sleep.

The next morning when Xiao woke up, he went downstairs to see Zhongli and Childe with breakfast made at the table. The two men smiled warmly at Xiao as he came and sat at the table "What time is it..?" Xiao asked in a raspy voice, he tried looking at his phone but his eyes were so swollen and blurry from crying he couldn't read it.

"10:36." - C

Xiaos eyes widened and he stood back up only to be stopped by Zhongli "Xiao we decided to let you sleep in and keep you at home today. You needed the sleep and your sisters are already at school." Xiao looked at him before sitting back down.

"Eat your food Xiao. You need to eat, you've lost a little bit of weight." Xiao could hear the worry in Zhonglis voice and it made him angry that he was worried. He didn't want anyone to worry or pity him. He wasn't weak. He looked at his plate of food for a moment, deciding if he wanted to eat or not, he didn't even have the energy to pick up the fork. Both, Childe and Zhongli noticed this as they looked at eachother for a moment. "When you finish I need you to go get dressed. I wanna take you somewhere." Zhongli said before leaving the table.

Xiao was confused but too tired to question it. He only ate a little bit of his food before leaving to put something on. He didn't put much effort into his outfit. A black shirt and black sweat pants. He didn't bother putting on any eyeliner or fixing up his hair. The boy walked to the car where is father was waiting for him.

They drove around for a bit, Xiao stared out the window lost in thought. Zhongli tried to talk to him but all he would respond with was a "mhm" or a "yea". Zhongli took him to many places that could help with Xiaos sadness, he tried to cheer him up. He took him sight seeing and out to lunch. He didn't take him anywhere where there was a lot of people, his father knew he didn't like crowds so that definitely wouldn't help.

Xiao didn't show the least bit of emotion though all day. He just kept the same tired look as he looked around at the things Zhongli showed him. Nothing was helping. His father finally took him to the park and they both sat down on a bench in silence.

"Xiao? Do you wanna talk about what's on you're mind?" Zhongli looked at him worried.

"No.." Xiao sniffled out as he felt tears sting his eyes just from the question but he didn't let them fall. Zhongli noticed this then pulled him for another hug, just like the night before. Xiao began to cry since there was barely anyone around, he couldn't hold in his tears. Xiao cried for a moment before regaining himself and pulling away from his dad, wiping his tears.

"Aether is going to be alright Xiao. I spoke with his parents, they except him to wake up soon." Xiaos eyes widened as he looked up at his father, he suddenly felt the weight hes been feeling lift off his heart a bit. It was a feeling of relief. Xiao started to cry again but it was happy tears, Zhongli wiped his tears with a smile. When they were leaving Xiao began to feel all of his restless nights catch up with him in that moment, that relief caused this.

"D-Dad..?" Xiao muttered out as he leaned against the car, feeling his eyes droop more. Zhongli looked at him with a worried expression and held him up as he fell asleep in his arms. He put Xiao in the car and drove them home. Xiao was feeling a bit better knowing Aether was going to be okay. He slept peacefully that night for the first time in weeks.

~~~~~~ AN ~~~~~~

Thank you guys for all your support ❤️

1489 words