35

Authors P.O.V

When the pair had arrived at the doorstep of Hayeon's family home, they'd expected that the other two members inside would be fast asleep, since it was extremely late and way past the time they would usually go to bed.

So, as expected, they were caught off guard when they entered to see the living room lights switched on and both mother and daughter seated peacefully on the couch while watching TV a few hours past midnight.  

"Oh, you're awake". Hayeon muttered hesitantly, closing the doors behind her before glancing towards Jisung apologetically after she'd told him she was 99% sure they'd be asleep. 

Jisung dipped a bow to the elder lady, greeting her properly despite the nervousness kicking in. "Its nice to see you Ms. Lee, sorry for coming so.. unannounced". He rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. 

Mihyeon had an amused smile on her lips as she tossed a piece of popcorn in her mouth, knowing something good had happened from the glimmer in both their eyes. 

"Are you both going to keep standing?". Gaeun asked, cocking a brow at them. "Come sit down. Have you had dinner?". 

The duo nodded simultaneously, finding a seat together on the couch adjacent to theirs. The dark-haired stole a glance at her mother who kept looking towards the male seated beside her, her expression unreadable. 

"Did you two enjoy your little date?". Mihyeon grinned, gaze directed towards them. "I'm sure you did seeing you came back this late". 

Her comment cleared the awkward tense air a little, as she wiggled her eyebrows at them, earning a look from her elder sister who was more concerned about their mother who did not pass the vibe check. 

Their mother remained quiet, eyes on the television which played the news but it was obvious she was in a world of her own. 

The pair stole anxious glances, sitting in complete silence until Gaeun cleared her throat, turning towards them with her eyes sharpening slightly. 

"Don't be nervous". She stated, looking specifically towards Jisung. "You're sitting there as if I'm deciding whether I should kill you or not". 

Jisung's eyes widened and he quickly denied the remark, earning a laugh from the youngest who seemed all too entertained by the situation. 

"You're all grown up now". She added. "I saw you a lot with Hayeon as teenagers, so I was quite surprised to find out you both are still in contact". 
"More than just in contact". Mihyeon piped in, resulting in a look from their mother which made her quickly turn to her phone. 

Jisung nodded slowly, a warm smile on his lips. "How's your health, Ms. Lee? You seem to be a lot weaker than before". 

"My health is just up and down. Its been much better lately though. If I don't wear myself out too much, I feel perfectly fine". She replied. "Thank you for asking". 

Hayeon only observed the small talk between the two, wondering if it was stiff and forced or actually a normal thoughtful conversation. She couldn't quite tell. 

But she was glad their mother was actually initiating a talk instead of sitting there with an indecipherable expression. 

It made her feel somewhat at ease. 

While they continued their conversation, she slipped away from her seat beside him and pulled Mihyeon along with her to her room, dragging her forcibly since she was so into their talk. 

"What?". She grumbled, crossing her arms as she stood in the doorway. 
Hayeon pulled her inside the room, closing the door. "I'm doomed". 
"Why?".