18

Authors P.O.V 

Jisung opened the door to his large apartment, locking it behind him and tossing his cap onto the couch closest to where he was before retreating to the kitchen. 

He pulled out a can of beer, stifling a tired yawn as he plopped down on the large black couch and pulled out his phone.

He'd rented out this apartment after he'd came back from studying abroad in the US. Although his family had insisted he stay with them, he refused and ended up getting his own place.
Something he was relieved he'd been stubborn on doing. 

He'd met up with Yeonjun and Wooyoung after finishing work late around ten in the evening and since the friends had gone out to eat together and then went gaming, it was now past midnight. 

He sipped from his can of beer, laying back with his head resting against the cushion when suddenly his phone began ringing continuously. 

He had to recheck the caller ID thrice before picking up. 

"Can't believe Lee Hayeon is calling me this late at night". He remarked, accepting the call and putting it on speaker. He placed down the can of beer beside him on the table.
"You're still awake?". She asked, ignoring his comment. 

He chuckled. "You're not one to say. You're always complaining that you must sleep early to get your full eight to ten hours of sleep, angel". 

"Shut up. I told you not to call me by that". She grunted.
"I only call you that because you're the opposite". He answered, eyes glinting as he grinned. "You're a real devil".
She scoffed. "Then just call me devil". 

He brushed his hair away from his eyes, humming in response. "So, to what do I owe you the pleasure of this call?". 

"You're pleased I called you?". She repeated, amusedly. "Well that's a first, huh? I thought you'd be half-asleep and curse at me for calling at 1:47 in the morning but it seems someone was awaiting my call". 

He scoffed at how easily she was able to change up words in her own favor. It'd been one of her specialities. Nitpicking at words and mistakes that he would make just for them to come and slap him back in the face. 

"You're still as irritating even past midnight and being in a state of sleep deprivation". He stated, sighing deeply.
"I learnt from the best". She deadpanned, her soft laughter floating through the line. 

Although she was plainly insulting him, something about the situation made his heart pound instantly and he didn't take notice of it. 

Instead he ran his tongue over his bottom lip, clearing his throat. 

"So why did you call?". He asked, changing the topic.
She hummed. "Do I need a reason to call?".
"Hey, just because I agreed to your condition that I pick up your calls all the time, you can't just ring me whenever you please, you know". He scolded lightly. "I'm a tired man too, okay?". 

He turned over onto his side, adjusting the cushion more comfortably. 

"Sleeping problems, my dude". Hayeon answered. "I thought if I couldn't fall asleep, what's better than making you suffer too?".
He snickered. "How very kind of you". He bit back sarcastically, yawning. "And stop dude-zoning me". 

There was a few moments of comfortable silence between them, just the rhythm of their breaths being heard and nothing else but the howling of the night wind. 

"You know.." She spoke up. "If you wanted to, you could've hung up on me already". She countered. "So you not cutting the call was your own decision. You really must've been waiting for my call then".