11

Authors P.O.V 

Hayeon sat up in her bed, chest tight and throat closed as she tried to to breathe. It felt like a weight was pushing her down as she attempted to calm herself down, her mind feeling like a complete blur. 

Drops of sweat laced her forehead, heart still pounding as she switched on her bedside lamp and collapsed back, exhausted. 

Her whole body felt like it was practically on fire, hot and burning as she peeled away her blanket from her body and stood up with shaky legs to go to the kitchen. 

Another sleepless night. 

She gritted her teeth, pouring a glass of cold water from the jug and downing it instantly to calm her nerves. 

She never really figured out when it had started. She'd been used it, for the most part. Waking up drenched in sweat, her heart thrashing wildly in her chest and her whole body practically trembling. 

Hayeon inhaled a sharp breath of air, placing down the glass on the bench top and momentarily closing her eyes. It was difficult to calm herself whenever she woke up in this sort of state. 

She switched off the kitchen light and retreated back to her room slowly, all the sleepiness before being washed away as she sat down in her bed. Only the bedside lamp was switched on as the dark-haired brought her knees to her chest, hugging them and and leaning her head against her folded arms. 

A whirlpool of thoughts flurried across her mind and she attempted to not take notice of them, although they felt crystal clear. 

Her phone began to ring and she flinched, feeling her heart rate increase again. 

Don't pick up, her mind told her. Don't pick up. 

The dark-haired sat on her bed, body feeling frozen as she watched her phone buzz on her side table. Her hand slowly reached out to grasp it, and she brought it towards her to see who it was. 

Her breaths were shallow, and her body shaking slightly although she wasn't in a conscious state to notice the harrowing signs. 

Incoming call from han jisung

Hayeon pressed her lips together thinly, swiping the accept button slowly and putting it on speaker as he spoke up. 

"Hello?". His voice floated through the line. 

"Hey". She answered, her throat dry and she couldn't manage to say any more. 

He paused for a second. "Surprised you picked up this late". 

She glanced at her side table clock, seeing it was almost three hours past midnight and she ran her tongue over her lips nervously. 

"Yeah, just woke up because I was thirsty". She replied. She reached out towards her blanket, covering her legs with it and pulling it closer. 

"Also surprised that you're not lashing out at me for calling you this late". The black-haired boy commented. "Not very Hayeon-like". 

She didn't respond, not wanting her voice to break or crack while her throat felt closed up and her tongue felt tied. 

"Hello?". He called confusedly, voice changing a little. 

"I'm still here". She breathed out. 

"Is everything okay?". He asked. "Did something happen?". 

She felt her body go cold a little and gulped, shaking her head only to realise he wouldn't be able to interpret her actions and she would have to speak up.