30

⚠️ TW: Mentions physical and emotional abuse, toxic relationships, abusive relationship trauma ⚠️

Authors P.O.V

Hayeon bit down on her bottom lip as her gaze was directed towards her phone which she clasped gently in between her fingers. 

There was an incoming call from her sister and she was hesitant to answer, afraid the younger girl would see through her clearly and call her out. 

She knew Mihyeon was quick-witted and it didn't take her long to see through the façade her elder sister would constantly put on when needed. 

She didn't want to place a burden on her shoulders, yet she'd been avoiding calling her for days and she would figure out eventually that something was wrong. 

With a sigh, Hayeon accepted the call, smiling brightly when the video-call projected her sister laying in bed with a grin. "Yeon! I missed you". She complained. "You've been so busy lately, again". 

The dark-haired forced a little laugh, nodding. "Yeah, it's been hectic, you know how the entertainment industry is. How've you been?". 

"Just fine. Exams are finally over so that means holidays are coming soon". She flipped to lay on her stomach, propping her elbows up to lean her chin in her hand as she placed the phone to lean on a cushion in front of her. "You can come over for a while in the holidays right? Or we'll surprise you and come to Seoul". 

Hayeon nodded slowly, switching the side of her camera to show the vivid green grassy fields and the lake near where she was sitting. 

Handling the pressure of making sure there wasn't a flicker of sorrow on her face became too heavy on her.
But it seemed the replacement strategy didn't do much good either. 

"Did something happen?". 

Hayeon stopped, momentarily shocked and confused by her sudden question that seemed to come out of nowhere. 

She cleared her throat. "What do you mean?". 

"Yeon, something happened right?". She pressed. "Tell me. I know something's wrong. I can sense it". 

Hayeon pursed her lips. "Hey, what are you talking about? Nothing's wrong at all! You're just overreacting, Mihyeon. What would even make you think that something bad happened?". She muttered, heart beating erratically. 

There was a sharp sigh from the other line and Hayeon averted her gaze when her sister requested the camera to be showing her. 

She looked towards the birds near the lake, feeling the burn of Mihyeon's intense gaze even though it was through a video-call. 

"Why can't you tell me?". 

She clenched her jaw. "Because there's nothing wrong". She exclaimed. 

Just as if to prove her wrong, her eyes began to intensely fill with tears and she panicked, quickly switching the video-call back to the view. 

Her heart drummed loudly against her chest as she blinked back the thick tears blurring her vision. 

"Fine, you don't have to tell me". Mihyeon sighed. "But talk to someone about it, please. Even if its not me, its okay".

The elder girl remained silent, pressing her lips together tightly. 

"There's nothing wrong with sharing what you're going through. You're not a burden. So please, talk to someone. I can't stand seeing you pretend that everything's fine when its not". 

...

The dark-haired girl crossed the desolate road towards her apartment building, a tired yawn leaving her lips. Night had already fallen by the time she returned, the sky coated black and the wind crisp and cold.