Chapter 23: Stealing and Friendship

Tommy's POV

Tommy woke up. He felt the rain fall on his skin. 

He sighed."Another rainy day." Tommy muttered as he headed out of his alley to steal from his usual bakery.

I rush to the bakery in a full sprint. I quickly steal some bread before running back to my alley.

I eat the bread, but still feel hungry. Well that's how it is when you starve on the streets.

I stare at my hands. They are smooth which is weird considering they were cracked yesterday because of all the climbing I do. I shrug it off and continue my day down the street. Every minute I itch my skin since it's irritated. Probably getting a rash from sleeping in the rain. 

I sigh, "I should steal an apple." I hum to myself as I make my way to the stands. 

I quickly snatch an apple as stand owners start yelling at me. I run and jump into an empty garbage can to eat my apple in peace. I take a bit and quickly spit it out. There are maggots in the apple. I gag and run back to my alley.

I wall jump until I make it to the roof. I sit down and look at the town before me. People easily passing by, not caring about life or death.

"I didn't expect to see you here." I whip my head around to see a dirty blonde-haired girl with green eyes and freckles.

"Who the fuck are you?" I scoff. I have to admit though the girl was fairly pretty.

"Drista. I always see you suffering. I would like to offer you breakfast." I don't like her word choice, but it's free food! 

"Fine. You're paying for all of it though." She giggles.

"Of course!" 

I start following the girl. She seems nice, but I could have sworn I knew who she was. I just can't put my finger on it. I grab my head at the clear headache I am getting while thinking about how off this situation is. She also looks like she is dressed for a Rennaissance cosplay with her cream-colored dress with a green corset covering it. She also has cream laced gloves with matching stockings. She has green shoes and every step she takes, her wavy dirty blonde hair bobs along with her. The more I observe her I start to realize the dried blood patch on her neck. Must have accidently cut herself. Or she is suicidal. I really don't want to preach into that.

We finally arrive at the breakfast place. It looks awfully familiar though. Like deja vu. We head in and take a seat. I look at the menu and look confused.

"What are the waffles?"

"Oh they're really good! A waffle is a dish made from leavened batter or dough that is cooked between two plates that are patterned to give a characteristic size, shape, and surface impression. There are many variations based on the type of waffle iron and recipe used. Waffles are eaten throughout the world, particularly in Belgium, which has over a dozen regional varieties. Waffles may be made fresh or simply heated after having been commercially cooked and frozen. (Yes. Yes, I did copy and paste this from Wikipedia.)" I look dumbfounded.

"O-okay I will have the waffles."

"Two orders of waffles madam!" Drista says as she smiles at me.

The waiter rolls her eyes and writes the order on her notepad. Drista and I talk for a while until our food is served.

"So you are 18?"

"Yep! Turned it recently! Me and my brother celebrated it even though he was away for a while."

"Who's your b-"

"Here ya go! Waffles for the man and some bread and fruit with cake!" Drista smiles.

The waiter leaves and I am confused, "I thought you got waffles like me?" Drista shakes her head no.

"I always get this! You must have misheard me!" She chuckles, "I am a growing girl after all!"

I shrug it off as I slowly start using utensils to eat the waffles. Wait utensils? I have never used These before. How does my body know exactly what to do?

I eat the waffles anyway, not caring a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Word Count: 687