Chapter 27: Hospital Part 4

El's pov

It's been 4 days and max hadn't woke up yet. I was losing hope. I didn't know what to do. I was always here next to her. The party were visiting at times.

It was afternoon. Mike, lucas, will and Dustin came again today. They basically come to keep me company as we were waiting and hoping max would wake up.

They brought uno. Its our favourite board game after monopoly. Well, for the boys, their favourite game is obviously dnd but max and I don't really-didn't.. really like it so we just stayed out of it.

When we hang out all together, we usually play uno as well. It's not the same without max. Nothing is the same. I feel empty inside.

Mike's pov

We were at the hospital. Max unfortunately hadn't woke up yet. Its so sad. Max and I may fight but I don't want her dead. She's my friend. And seeing el in such pain hurts me. It hurts all of us. We try our best to make her laugh, get her distracted.

It works for a little but then you can tell she's still upset. We brought uno with us to play with her. Hopper got back from work early.

He always visits the hospital whenever he doesn't have a night shift. Max's mom is with el so hopper works.

Will and I were still together. In secret. We didn't tell el yet. Of course we wouldn't. It's not the best timing.

Hopper walked outside with Joyce to talk with the doctor. El kept looking at the door waiting for him to come back,hoping for further news.

After 2 minutes they came back. El immediately dropped her cards on a hospital table. "what did he say?" el impatiently asked. Hopper sighed.

"nothing bad-"he started. "so will she be okay? Will she wake up" el asked. "We don't know yet-but she's getting better we just need some time-" hopper said.

"how much time? The doctor says that every day" el said. "He told us from the start, we don't know when exactly she will wake up, he said a few days. So she's going to be fine el I'm sure of that-" hopper said.

"She doesn't look fine to me dad! It's been 4 days! They're obviously lying, max is not awake and might not wake up! I can't do this, I can't handle the lying" she said, her voice was breaking.

I felt so bad. Hopper was speechless. "El-" Joyce tried but el stood up. "hey..it's gonna be okay-" hopper tried as he blocked her way out. "Stop saying that! I don't know what's going to happen, no one does!"el said trying to get off hopper's arms.

"I just-n-need some air" she said as I noticed tears in her eyes. I looked over at will. His eyes were watery. I grabbed his hand under the table to comfort him.

He looked at me with worried eyes. Hopper was not letting her go, no matter how hard he pushed him. At some point she gave up and cried. Hopper hugged her tightly as she was sobbing.

No one said anything. The whole scene was pretty sad. I can't imagine losing someone I love and care about.

After a minute el pulled away. "I want to go outside to get air please" she quietly said. Hopper nodded. "I'll come with you" will said as he stood up. "I'm fine will" el said.

"no it's alright I'll come" will insisted as he stood up and followed her.

Will's pov

I insisted on going outside with el. I didn't want to leave her alone. She walked outside in front of the hospital and sat down on the pavement.

Neither of us said anything. We just sat there. She was trying to calm down. I put my arm around her shoulder. "I miss her" she quietly said after a while.

"I know... so do I" I softly replied. And it was true. "listen el.." I started. "I know its not easy... but we have to be more patient, I know its been 4 days but we shouldn't lose hope. The doctor said a few days, not specific. I understand how you feel, we are all scared of losing her. There's nothing to do other than wait" I softly said.

She slowly nodded. "you're right..i don't know why I acted like that before to everyone-" she said. "it's okay el.. It's completely reasonable don't worry" I said smiling at her. She smiled back.

"thank you.." she replied. "of course"i said. "You should go back upstairs I'll be fine, Mike is probably worried about you" she said. Does she know? No, how could she know.

"Yeah.. Let's go together, everyone's worried about you" I said offering my hand as I stood up. She nodded and took it.

We walked back in the hospital. "are you okay?" lucas asked as everyone was looking at us when we walked in. El nodded and sat down. She grabbed max's hand and held it. She never let it go. Mike looked at me.

"are you okay?" he whispered. I nodded. "would you like to play more?" Mike asked el. "it's fine-I'm not really in the mood, you guys can play" el said. We all nodded.

It always ends like this. We all miss her. I know it's been 4 days but they're long ones. Especially for el who is there by her side 24/7 while we are at school in the mornings.

El's pov

It was late so everyone left. Hopper stayed of course since he got back from work early today and then left after a few hours.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow, remember if anything happens or any further news please call me" hopper told max's mom. "yeah I know hopper, I will" she said with a smile. Max's mom is hurting as well obviously.

She hides her feelings though. Billy is just quiet. He doesn't say anything. He hadn't left the room either all these days.

*A few hours later*

Max's mom and Billy fell asleep on the chairs as usual. I tried to sleep but I couldn't. I was praying every night she wakes up. I was staring at her thinking about everything that had happened again as I was holding her hand.

I couldn't help but cry again. Silently. I decided to close my eyes again, to try to sleep. After I feel something... something unexpected..

To be continued..