Chapter 24 : Hospital

El's pov

We've been waiting for a long time. I was so nervous. All of our friends ran to the hospital as soon as they heard the news when we called them. Mike, will, lucas, Dustin, even Nancy, Jonathan, Steve and Robin.

Honestly the hospital didn't allow too many people but hopper insisted since he's the chief so they agreed.

Will's pov

Hopper and I were sitting next to el. I felt so bad. I was nervous about max. Seeing el so nervous broke my heart.

Today was supposed be her best day. Max asking her to be her girlfriend and all great. Until Neil came. And ruined everything..

Robin's pov

I was sitting opposite or el and will. Hopper stood up to talk to Joyce. I felt so bad.. El looked so nervous and upset. I couldn't help but go sit next to her. Her leg was shaking nervously, as she bit her nails nervously.

I also heard the news max asking el out and it made me feel sad about the fact that hours later everything was ruined.

I put my hand on El's knee so she stops shaking. She stopped biting her nails too and looked at me. I gave her a sad smile. "Hey..it's gonna be okay, she will be fine" I said.

"how do you know" she quietly said. I sighed. "i don't know what exactly happened but what I know is that max is strong.. Very strong" I said. "yeah.. she is" she said. I smiled and took her hand.

"i know we never like spoke to each other but I want you to know that you can talk to me.. If you want" I said. She looked at me.

"you seem nice,so maybe I will" she said slightly smiling. I could tell she was still pretty nervous but I tried to distract her for a little until the doctor comes and informs us.

Hopper came, he saw me taking his seat but nodded and sat somewhere else. He gave me a small thankful smile. I smiled back.

El's pov

A few minutes later the doctor came. All of us stood up immediately. "Hold up, all of you sit down" the doctor said looking at us like we're a class telling to sit down by the teacher.

We sat back down. "alright..." the doctor started and sighed. My heart was beating so fast that I thought it would rip and come out.

"We're going to need to do a surgery to get the bullet out, also she might not wake up-" he said. "What?" hopper said. My heart broke. "No sir I don't mean dying, you didn't let me finish, I mean that she will probably wake up in a few hours or a few days, we hope so" he said.

Robin was still holding my hand, so was will who was also sitting next to me. "what? What do you mean doctor, you mean she will be in coma by surgery or something else?" hopper asked. "What that's impossible-" Mike said annoyed but nervously.

"shut up Mike" lucas said, he stopped so the doctor can continue talking. "It looks like she's been hurt in the brain as well, she might have hit her head somewhere as well" he said.

"It's not serious, she will most likely wake up and stay in the hospital for a few days after to heal" he said. "so she's in a coma?" Dustin asked.

"yes but it's not very serious, most of the times the patients wake up because its normal when you hit your head, in max's mayfield case it's not very serious but we just have to be patient, wait and do the surgery" the doctor said.

"oh.. Okay doctor thank you" hopper quietly said. The doctor nodded and was about to leave. "Um-doctor, when's the surgery happening" max's mom asked. She was also there. "In a bit, don't worry I will inform you as soon as possible on how it went" he said as we nodded and he left.

I put my elbows on my knees covering my face with my hands. I couldn't believe this. Everything was going so well until Neil came. How did he even escape. He hurt my max.. I hate him more than anything.

My day had been ruined. Today I was the happiest I had ever been. Just max and I happy. Seeing max hurt broke me. I wish I was in her place. I don't want her hurt.

I silently started crying still covering myself by my hands and knees. I felt hands rubbing my back. I assumed it was Robin and will since they're the ones next to me.

"hey... she's gonna be okay el" will quietly said. "It's my fault.." I whispered. "what did she say?" I heard Dustin asking since the others were sitting in front of us. "she says it's her fault" Robin said.

I still didn't look up to face them. "El... It's not your fault" hopper said. "It is.." I accidentally let out a sob, god knows how long I've been holding it.

"I wish I had my fucking powers to protect her.. I couldn't do anything.. That stupid man hurt her and I just sat there watching her getting hurt" I cried. "Like you said el, you couldn't do anything you were tighted up" Robin said. I shook my head.

"Hopper saved her.. thank you" I said. "of course kid" he said. I didn't dare to look up. I couldn't handle the pity. I just wanted to cry in peace. Everyone's attention was at me. I couldn't help it, I tried to hold my tears for so long.

"El...you heard the doctor she will wake up and be fine-" Mike said. "What if she doesn't? I can't handle seeing her unconscious until she wakes up" I said. "I know, we will all wait patiently,we all care about her a lot, I'm sure she will wake up, max is strong and we should trust the doctors" hopper said.

"I don't trust anyone" I quietly said. There was a silence for a second. "El...look at me" hopper said. I finally looked up, all eyes were on me.

"doctors are nice here" Joyce softly said. "not all of them" I said. "I know el but trust us, they're the nice ones" Joyce said. I nodded looking down.

1075 words. To be continued!