𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞- 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐬.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝘁𝘄𝗼, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗛𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻𝘀.

Season two, episode twelve:

An Army of Ghosts - Part two.

- ~ -

The Doctor could sense Lynnette's fury as if it was his own. It flared and snarled deep within her veins, just beneath the surface, ready to lash at anyone who went just a little bit too far. He felt her skin boil, literally, as she clenched her jaw listening to Yvonne.

"The Torchwood Insititute has a motto. 'If it's alien, it's ours.'" She hummed.

Lynnette scoffed, "'I believe in equality, that every living thing should be free to live how they chose'  Isn't that what you used to say? Or was that a lie too?"

Yvonne clenched her hands, steeling herself and forcing herself to continue, "Anything that comes down from the sky, we strip it down, and we use it, for the good of the British Empire."

Jackie huffed, "The good of the what?"

"The British Empire," Smirked Yvonne smugly.

"There isn't a British Empire," Spoke Jackie with narrowed eyes.

"Not yet," Hummed the woman, eyes flickering to Lynnette to search for a glimmer of interest in her eyes, she found none.

Instead, she found anger, cold and burning as she snapped, "Oh, great! You all have deep senses of patriotism! Tell me, will there be colonisation, racism, the erasion of culture, language, religion and of course, freedom in this new British Empire?"

Yvonne's temper rose and for the first time, she saw Lynnette grin at her. It shocked her and made her freeze in her step. Lynnette, the shy, quiet girl she knew saw well and enjoyed the fact she was making her angry.

The woman huffed, "Excuse me."

"You're avoiding answering me!" Lynnette called in a sing-song voice.

"Now...," Yvonne glared, "If you don't mind. Do you recognise this, Doctor?"

The Doctor's eyes widened slightly, "That's a particle gun."

"Good, isn't it? Took us eight years to get it to work," Hummed Yvonne.

"Because you're stupid," Snarked Lynnette.

Jackie snorted quietly and whispered, "You're just gonna keep insulting her for as long as we're here, aren't you?"

"Yep," Lynnette nodded.

The woman grinned with a wink, "Good."

Trying to keep the smirk off of his face, the Doctor stared harshly at the woman, "It's the 21st century. You can't have particle guns!"