𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧- 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧.

𝗔𝗰𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲, 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿

Season one, episode nine:

The Empty Child -  Part two.

- ~ -

Lynnette was growing increasingly worried for Rose. Bombs fell from every direction, their explosions lighting up the sky in a blitz of daunting blaze. It frightened her, what if Rose had already been killed by one of them? What if she had encountered the mysterious boy and had suffered some horrible fate? What if she had been abducted?

Her mind began to swarm with terrible thoughts, each one worse than the next. It was torturing her, so much so that her hand began to tremor. It only happened rarely now, when she was extremely anxious or something severely reminded her of her family but still a fresh hot burst of shame came over her. She hated it. 

She hated it so much. It showed people just how nervous and fragile she really was, just how easy it would be for them to crumble her facade. Once she realised what was happening she clenched her hand into a fist and tried to hide the rapid shake of it. 

Suddenly she was very aware of the two people walking along with her, both observant, both with sharp eyes and quick minds. If one of them caught onto what was going on she'd be done for, she wouldn't be able to bear the embarrassment that came with explaining why. Lynnette swallowed harshly, eyes darting between the two as they walked along the railroads.

The biting cold nipped at her figure harshly, chilling her to the very bone but she welcomed it. Lynnette much preferred the freezing cold to the vicious heat that was slowly creeping in as it always did. The heat was an ugly thing, it made it difficult to breathe, made her heart hammer, made her wish for the soft, comforting warmth to come back. It was odd really, just how quickly that warmth became a blazing fire.

So consumed in her own mind, Lynnette didn't notice the worried glance the Doctor gave her as he surveyed her posture and how she seemed so very distant to everything around her, almost as if she couldn't recognise where she was. He also caught the way her left hand was in a fist, shaking erratically. A nervous trait no doubt.

He had plenty of those, ones he was acutely aware of, avoiding eye contact, messing around with his screwdriver, distracting himself and other people, mumbling and so on. And so without a second of hesitation, he gently placed his hand over hers, simply laying it there and once again noting just how hot her body had become.

The woman's eyes snapped to his in an instant, hyper-aware now, he merely gave her a soft smile and she relaxed slightly. Taking the opportunity, the Doctor uncurled her fingers so they were no longer digging into her skin and held her hand in his own. Gently, he ripped the back of her hand with palm, hoping to keep her calm.