CHAPTER 53

ZARA'S POV

Today is the last hearing of our case. The lawyer is confident we're gonna win. I am too.

But im nervous for today. At the last hearing, my Uncle and Aunt weren't there. So i didnt have to face them. But today they will be. To here the result. The decision.

Im scared. I wish i had someone i could really lean on.

I have uncle Marty, yes, but i just. I dont know. My parents. i crave they're presence in moments like these.

I look at my reflection and sigh.

Im wearing a blazer dress. I thought it was appropriate for court. And to match im wearing my black YSL heels and bag.

 And to match im wearing my black YSL heels and bag

But most importantly, im wearing my moms necklace

But most importantly, im wearing my moms necklace. She gave me it on my 17th birthday, she said she got it on her 17th.

It was the last thing she gave me before she left. I feel tears gathering in my eyes as i think about her soft touch and her delicate voice. I miss my mom.

I feel like im all over the place recently

I feel like im all over the place recently. I get emotional easily, i cry alot. I dont know whats going on.

Before i know what im doing, ive dialed a number.

"Who is this?" i hear a deep, masculine voice. My breath hitches. Its close to his. But thats not him. I know it.

"Uhm, hi, its Zara, i wanted to speak to mama?" i say.

"Oh! Zara, sorry love it was an unknown number, hear you go" i hear Stephano say and i smile slightly.

"Dolcezza? Is everything ok?" she asks.

"Mhm, i just, i was feeling a little overwhelmed, i thought id give you a call, how are you" my voice sounds weaker then usual.

"Im okay my sweet, but you arent, im sorry about my son Zara, he's an asshole" she says and my eyes widen. I have never heard her cuss.

"He told you?" i ask her.

"Sì, i asked him, dont worry about that right now, how is London?"

We chat for a while before i tell her i have to go. She doesnt know what im doing, she somehow still manages to tell me exactly what i wanted to hear.

"You'll be fine my darling, no matter the outcome, no matter who puts you down, youre a strong girl, and we're your family, we will always be here. Bye lovey, see you soon".

I feel so much better after talking to her. I look at my reflection. I am strong. I made it this far. I'll be fine.

~

"By the Law of United Kingdom, the High Court charges you, Steven Bernardi, and you, Brittany Bernardi, of Murder. The Court gives you a life sentence. Hermann Schitt, you are given a life sentence for accessory to murder. The Bernardi accounts are to pay 30 million pounds to the daughter of the victoms and their next of kin, Zara Luna King, in Damages, Mental Distress and Restitution of Financial Loss." The judge announces and I breathe out. "The Court is dismissed." and he stands up and leaves.

The cops present start cuffing them and my Aunt looks towards me with a poisinous look.

"You ungrateful brat! I kept you in my house, you ate my food and this is how you reapay us?! We gave you shelter when you were fucking homeless you ungrateful bitch!" She screeches.

"No." I say, tears slipping out. "You didn't give me shelter, you locked me up and you used me. You took away my everything. You took away my parents, for what? For some money? Youre disgusting, you could've asked your sister, she wouldn've given you charity" i say. "Youre such awful people, you ruined my life, you made a child an orphan for your greed" i cry. I feel someone grip my waist and I know its Andrew.

Brittany laughs bitterly.

"We thought you'd be in that doomed car with them, we wanted to kill you, you were always a loose end. I even tried to choke you to death one night, but you fucking stopped me didnt you Steven?! How is that going for you?!" She screams. Steven just looks down in shame.

My eyes widen. The shadow? The shadow is her? Its not just a nightmare, it actually happened. I cry more.

I loose my balance a little and Andrew holds me tighter.

"Zara, shh, keep your eyes open love." he whispers.

"Take them away" Uncle Martin says and they do.

I sob loudly, turning around and hiding my face in Andrews arms.

"You won" he whispers. I nod still sobbing.

I see Liam and hug him aswell.

"You did it Zar, im so proud of you" he says. He sounds sad. I know he is. I would be too.

"Im so sorry Li, im sorry i had to do this" i shake my head in his chest, my words coming out muffled.

"No Zara, youre fine, they needed to be put away for what they did, youre still my sister, always." he whispers. I nod. "You did it" he says again and i chuckle.

I did it.