Chapter Twenty Nine: Selling Fairy Tales

Carperia
Nesrin's POV
"Do you know why little girls pretend to be princesses?" I raised my eyebrow at the old woman. I never pretended to be a princess. I ran around with the boys carrying a wooden sword. But my sister's wore paper tiaras and sipped imaginary tea.

"I can't relate to what you're saying your majesty. I played with boys and carried a wooden sword."

Dargan buried his laughter as soon as it slipped out. His grandmother's sharp eyes leave no room for humour when she's trying to be serious.

"I don't question your peculiar nature. Regardless, wrap your head around what I'm saying. Do you know why fairy tales are appealing?"

"Is it the lies they feed us? Do you know Cinderella didn't even ask the prince for his name? And how exactly does snow white come to life because of a little kiss on the lips? Isn't it necrophilia? And don't get me started on sleeping beauty-"

She held until her hand to silence me. "It's because the monarchy creates a fantasy to sell to it's subjects. We want them to look at us and wish they were us. We represent glamour, beauty, wealth and the best part, lasting fairy tales." Selina paused and pointed her walking stick at me. "That is what we sell. How can they buy it when you look like a winter morning? He is allowed to look dull. What is your excuse?"

"I have no excuse." I have learned not to argue with Selina.

"Then smile like a woman marrying a reigning king! It's an honour! In a mere couple of days you will be the Queen of Chea Niva. Raise you head high." She demanded. "Dargan, try to exude some warmth. You look like the dead of winter in Saine Neane!"

"Yes grandmother." He answered.

"Sell a fairy tale to our guests. That is all I'm asking for. Give this kingdom something beautiful to believe in after the string of tragedies we have suffered."

"Yes your majesty." I answered.

"Excuse me."

She went ahead of us. Queen Everleigh looks exceptionally regal today. It's a dinner party for all nobles and high ranking military officials. This is my second public appearance with Dargan since we arrived in Carperia. I'm a little nervous. If I take a second to think about it, if I really think about it, I'm in a unique position. There are millions of women in Chea Niva and of all of them, I'm the one standing next to the king. I'm the one he wants to marry. I'm the one who gets to wear a crown and be called Queen of Chea Niva. I'm the one to bear the next lineage.

I sighed heavily as a reflection of my thoughts, turning my attention to the man who is the subject of all my thoughts.

"Your majesty-"

"Your majesty." A man approached and interrupted me. "You will be announced shortly. How would you like the lady to be introduced?"

Dargan looked at me. Can he be more handsome? I'm allowing myself to see him as it has been set in stone. My husband to be. He's desirable. I wish I could see more than what is physical.

"She Wiko be introduced as Lady Nesrin." He spoke in a flat tone.

"Yes your majesty." He left us after bowing.

Queen Everleigh is gone already.

"Just Lady Nesrin?" I asked.

"What else would you want?

"Nothing. I sense you're still angry with me and I want you to know that it is all right. I have earned it. My actions are... well I didn't behave like the bride of the king. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I'll keep asking it until you forgive me. But if there's anything I can do let me know."