Chapter Nineteen: The Long Game

Carperia
Nesrin's POV
The moment I caught a glimmer in the sky, my heart stilled, not in awe of the gold done tops of the palace but because this is the final nail. I know there's no more ice or cold winds. The familiarity of the Chrystal Isles have faded away leaving the unfamiliarity of a city made of gold. I looked at the man beside me. Our eyes met just at the right time. He hasn't said anything to me since we boarded a plane in Saine Neane.

It's a big plane. I hav never been on a helicopter,let alone a  plane. There are many firsts with Dargan. This plane is fancy. The seats are comfortable dark brown leather. It has carpeted floors and beautiful gold details. Are all planes this way?

"Nesrin," he touched the thin string that once secured his boots. Now they restrain my wrists and the other, my ankles. It wasn't easy for them to make me board the plane. I was prepared. I caused so much trouble that it took four men to subdue me. He watched with nothing but disapprove in his dark eyes. "When this plane lands, you will set foot in your new home. You have two options. One, accept your reality and live happily beside me. Two, fight your reality and watch me make yoyr life a living hell. I recommend the first choice."

"Are you afraid I'll embarrass you?" I asked him.

He smiled crookedly. "Sweetheart," his voice deepened, he got close to my face. "Please, embarrass me and I promise your rear end will be sore for days to come."

He faced outside the window at the wings of the plane. I clenched my jaw firmly. What does he mean by that? Something about the way he looked at me assures me that I really don't want to know.

"Your majesty." An older woman in an emerald uniform approached. All she needs is the Chea Nivan flag and her outfit will be complete.

"What?" Dargan asked without even looking at her.

"The pilots would like you to know that we are landing in a few minutes." She glanced at me for a moment. "Should the uh... lady be prepared as you had requested?"

Now he looked at her then me. "Does she look presentable to you? Does she portray the semblance of a future queen?"

My hair is a mess. My dress ripped at the bottom during the struggle to get me into the plane in Saine Neane. The mascara I wore is dripping down the sides of my face. I'm a mess even for my usual taste.

"No your majesty."

"Then why are you asking me stupid questions?"

"I apologize-"

"Don't apologize. Fix it."

She helped me up but my ankles are tied together. He got a knife from right under the sleeve of his cost and he cut me free. I showed him my wrists. He thought about it. "How will I get dressed Dargan? Be reasonable."

He stood up. "If you try something... your rear end." He cut the string. 

The stewardess took me to the back of the plane. There's a bedroom. It looks good for a room on the plane. I noticed the grey dress hanging on a hanger. It's formal.

"I can do this myself. Please excuse me."

She left me alone. I reached for the dress. It feels expensive. There's a bag on the side tied up with a pink ribbon. I pulled it open. I picked the card.

Nesrin,
Welcome to Carperia!
Accept my small gift.
I can't wait to see you.
E.K

I can't help but smile.

The last thing I want is what happens after I get off this plane.  With all certainty, I'm Gettysburg Ng married to the king. With all certainty, Cree will no longer be part of the picture. Does he know I left? Does he know about this? How will he feel about it? I know my heart aches.