Chapter One: Their Opinions

Cray Thera
Queen Everleigh's POV
"The purpose is to be audible my dear. Why can't I hear you?"

My eyes moved to the man eating like there will be no tomorrow. I just don't understand where all that food goes but it's a quiet thought. Getting between Rehan and his meat is like starting a war.

"Because there's nothing worth repeating your majesty." I folded the newspaper. It is tradition that I read it to him every morning. "Care to talk about the ball in Ebrium? How did it go? Did our son find a match?"

"He was nowhere to be found."

"What do you mean?"

"There's no hidden meaning in my words dear. Your son was nowhere to be found. I haven't seen him since. In fact I'm wondering if this monarchy has an heir!" His voice thundered over the last part of his words. Only a guest would be startled by Rehan's outbursts. We are used to it.

"Gentle breaths my love. Your heart-"

"Is mighty!" He growled and took a bite from the steak on his plate. Who eats stake for breakfast?

Dargan probably needed space. Ever since his 30th birthday, his father has been on his case. My son is casual about relationships. He often tells me he doesn't want to love. If he married it's for function. Heirs. Simple.

"Indeed!" I agreed. "How else would you out up with Dargsn standing you up at a ball? You're the king! He should know better!" I fanned his flames when I remembered that my son's sexual endeavors will get a prostitute pregnant. We don't want tainted heirs. The House of Kaelan has a reputation to uphold and it's not scandal which is Dargan's favorite colour!

"And you should take over."

I blinked repeatedly. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Take over. I have more important things to care for than finding that ungrateful boy a wife."

I don't meddle in Dargan's affairs. I steer clear and for good reason too! Dargan is hard headed and he never shies away from calling me out on things even in front of people. I wouldn't dare tell him what to do. He intimidates me.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Aren't you up to it?"

Typical. He decided things and then challenges me to step up .

"Of course I am your majesty." Someone boil me alive. This won't be pretty. "Is there someone you particularly favored at the ball in Ebrium?"

"Yes. A few but I liked Nesrin. She's General Vanden's daughter. His oldest I presume."

"How old?"

"Probably 17 or 18. I'm not certain."

My tea is cold. I pushed it to my left and it was immediately taken away. Seconds later I got a fresh hot cup.

"Shouldn't he marry nobility?"

"I don't like the selection." He narrowed his eyes. "They are pretty to look at but they lack substance."

"Am I not pretty to look at?"

"You are. And that is primarily why I married you. But beauty is not enough for Dargan. He sees many beautiful women every day. He needs someone with something that can arrest his attention. Let's go outside our comfort zone and pick someone who is not nobility."

"Noted your majesty." I sipped my tea.

"It doesn't have to be Nesrin. You can pick anyone you find captivating."

"I will your majesty."

*
I don't like Cray Thera.

It's because I'm surrounded by relatives and I hate them. They hate me so why pretend any further that we can stand each other? I come from nobility, just not Chea Nivan nobility. Being a foreigner here is hard. They don't understand why he picked a bride from outside Chea Niva.