Chapter Twenty Seven: Broken Rose

Carperia
King Dargan's POV
"If the idea is to be skin on bones when you wed, I don't support it." She placed a plate of food in front of me. "My boy, please eat something."

She touched my back,the warmth of her hand proving to b the most soothing feeling in the world. She's one if the only two family mem I have left.

I have been eating, not enough, just enough to get me by. I'm keeping my mind occupied with work. It's best that I don't stop to think about the losses I have incurred and the bottomless pit of pain within me. I'm taking it a day at a time but the loss of my father is still heavily felt.

For the last two days I gave been waking up in a panic, my bed soaked with sweat. I keep dreaming of the night he died. I keep seeing him on a horse charging towards me headless. I wake up in a panic and I can't go back to sleep. I'm sleeping with the lights on. I just can't seem to sleep in the dark. He is haunting me. He is asking me why I didn't protect him. I failed him.

"How are you?"

"I'm getting better by the day." She looks less dull. "Keeping my mind occupied with this wedding. I hope she won't embarrass us by not showing up when it's time!"

I wouldn't put it past Nesrin to try something like that. But one thing is certain. I'm not one to fall into her schemes. She's clever but I'm cleverer. If she thinks she will outwit me she has another thing coming.

"She won't embarrass us."

"How sure are you?" She leaned against my arm. I scooped a tablespoon of the wild rice and the mushroom sauce. It's delicious.

"A little something called contingency mother." I answered.

"And what is that? Don't threaten her family. They have done their bit. Admiral Vanden is a diligent and loyal man."

"I won't go after her family. I'll go after someone her silly hearts beats for."

"A dead man? Dargan," she turned my face. "Are you delirious? He's dead. Cree Sully is dead, right?"

I gently pried her hand off. I got up with the plate of food in hand, eating away like a starving beast. My appetite is returning to me. It wasn't so days ago when the sight or smell of food didn't stir me.

"No he's not. The bastard survived my knife." I spoke in a lower tome aware that she's in the next room.

"Where is he?" She joined me next to the window. A little life is returning to the palace. Our social calendar is full, right down to the wedding which is in twenty seven days.

"Down below."

"Down below?" She looked down past her pretty red shoes. "Do you mean..."

"Hush. There's no need for details."

"And you think that is enough to control her?"

"Enough until I have my heir and then I'll dispose of him."

"Sometimes I wonder if it would have been easier to pick a brainless bride."

"And bore me to death? Do you know how busy she keeps my mind with her madness?" I chuckled. "Besides, I love a challenging conquest. If she were to give in I'll get bored."

"Your grandmother has been inviting her friends and their daughters around the palace. If you ask me, it's a futile attempt to revive the Ladies of the Court."

"I find them pleasantly distracting."

"The only thing that should pleasantly distract you is Nesrin. Don't forget." She took the empty plate. "Seconds?"